TechSpot

I'm new to OC, I am going if my computer can handle it?

By Huskier
Jan 10, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. I have a ECS G31T-M7, Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.50GHz, DDR2 2GB ram and GeForce GT 630 1GB.

I just going to ask if my computer can handle the OC? And if it can? Can it reach 3.0 GHz? Just asking
  2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,949   +1,477

If you have a good CPU cooler and an air conditioned room, I see no reason why you can't reach 3.0 GHz. A well ventilated case plays an important roll as well.

I had a Q9400@2.66 GHz and without air conditioning, I was able to maintain a 3.2GHz OC. But I couldn't have clocked as high on a stock cooler though.
    GhostRyder likes this.
  3. GhostRyder

GhostRyder TS Evangelist Posts: 2,203   +518

As with @cliffordcooley 's response you just need to have a little more than a stock cooler to be able to handle an overclock. Normally 3ghz on a Core 2 Quad is achievable with just a little bit of effort while keeping temps down.
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  4. Huskier

Huskier TS Rookie Topic Starter

How would I know if my stock cooler is good for OC? And I don't know how to OC, Are there any videos or tips that you guys can give me? I'm not comfortable with those tutorials on youtube.
  5. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,624

If u bought the computer at a store it has a stock cooler and can not be over clocked.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.