[In Progress] Difference between mbam setup and mbam rules

By jag1870
Aug 5, 2011
  1. Hey TechSpot,

Just wondering, what is (if any) the difference between mbam rules and mbam setup? I want the latest version of Malwarebytes anti-malware and I've come across both of the aforementioned. Not sure which one to pick. Any advice would be most appreciated.

2. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,335   +36

Looks like the 'rules' are the updates auto vs manual offline.

Setup is the download of the program.

You can find additional info in Google search..

To run current:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from from HERE
    • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
    • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to
      [o] Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
      [o] and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • then click Finish.
    • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
    • Once the program has loaded, select Perform Quick scan, then click Scan.
      * When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
    • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
    • When completed, a log will open in Notepad. please attach this log with your reply
      [o] If you accidentally close it, the log file is saved here and will be named like this:
      [o] C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\mbam-log-date (time).txt
    My Guidelines: please read and follow:
    • Be patient. Malware cleaning takes time and I am also working with other members while I am helping you.
    • Read my instructions carefully. If you don't understand or have a problem, ask me.
    • If you have questions, or if a program doesn't work, stop and tell me about it. Don't try to get around it yourself.
    • Follow the order of the tasks I give you. Order is crucial in cleaning process.
    • File sharing programs should be uninstalled or disabled during the cleaning process..
    • Observe these:
      [o] Don't use any other cleaning programs or scans while I'm helping you.
      [o] Don't use a Registry cleaner or make any changes in the Registry.
      [o] Don't download and install new programs- except those I give you.
    • Please let me know if there is any change in the system.
    If I don't get a reply from you in 5 days, the thread will be closed. If your problem persist, you can send a PM to reopen it.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.