Inactive [In Progress] Good afternoon. Problem with virus - malware suspected.

Good Afternoon,

I am new to the forum and have been browsing for a few days now, I decided to join up in the hope that you could help me.

My laptop has been playing up for the past few days. There have been a few problems running in parallel.

1) When I try to join any network (I've tried more than one) - it won't connect. It will either display it is "unable to find a certificate to log me on to the network" or it will appear "aquiring network address" for a lengthy period. The usual repair function is ineffective.

2) When I use Google Chrome, it will not let me access various sites. A red screen appears with a message saying "The site's security certificate is signed using a weak signature algorithm!". And when I use Firefox or the odd occasion the WiFi will link up - I am often getting redirected to virus-like sites.

So far, I have ran Avast on a quick scan and placed the infected files found in the chest and also ran MalwareBytes. None of this has proved successful. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

N.B. I may take up to 24 hours to reply as I have to use the work's PC. However, I will naturally try to be ASAP.

Welcome to TechSpot! I'll get you started.

Comments: Are these correct?
1. You have internet access.
2. You cannot do any file and print sharing with the other computers on the same network.
3. You are using a router.
--------------------
For the above, try this:
You will need to do a DNS Flush, then reset your router.
Start> Run> type cmd> enter> at the C prompt type ipconfig /flushdns (note space before the /)

Exit the Command prompt when finished and shut the system down.-

• [1]. Shut down your computer, and any other computer connected to your router.
    [2]. On the back of the router, there should be a small hole or button labelled RESET. Using a bent paper clip or similar item, hold that in continuously for twenty seconds.
    [3]. Unplug the router. Wait sixty seconds.
    [4].Now holding again the reset button, plug it back in. Continue holding the reset button for twenty seconds. Unplug the router again.
    [5].With the router unplugged, start your computer. Run MBAM again.
    [6].Connect to the router again. The turn the router back on.
    [7].When it stabilizes, reboot your workstation and try to access the internet. If you have any issues, access the Router configuration page and re-enter your authentication information.
    [8]. Reboot the system and test the internet. You may have to reconfigure the router settings based on your setup.
=======================================
Does the above make any difference?
====================================
Questions:
1. Are you using a network manger such as PureNetwork (Network Magic or Citrix.)
2. Have you done a recent update to Chrome? If Yes, did the 'chrome specific' problem begin after that?
3. A legitimate security warning has a tab to check the contents of the certificate. Do your warnings have that? Have you checked for information?
4. Do you have an active firewall?
5. Are the sites that won''t load through Chrome any specific type of site? Example> a secure site?
-------------------------
Is this correct?
Both the Chrome and Firefox browser are having problems, but they are different:
Chrome won't load some sites
Firefox redirects a search to a site other than the one you choose
=====================================
1. Please let me know if my assessment of the problems is correct.
2. Please answer the questions I have asked.
3. Please run GMER and DDS scans here: Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal.

NOTE: If you already have any of the scanning programs on the computer, please remove them and download the versions in these links.

When you have finished, leave the logs for review in your next reply . Leave also the log from the Mbam scan you ran after the DNS Flush and router reset.

NOTE: Logs must be pasted in the replies. Attached logs will not be reviewed.

Hello. Are you still with us?

Your thread has been marked as "Inactive" because of your lack of reply. Please let us know how your computer is running, or if you want to continue in this topic.

Thanks.

Back