TechSpot

India's 3D cellphone goes for $97, no glasses required

By Emil
Oct 26, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Where can you find an auto-stereoscopic 3D cellphone launching for less than $100 (Rs. 4,299) sans contract? India, of course (by the way, "auto-stereoscopic" is a fancy way of describing a 3D display that doesn't require stereoscopic goggles). Budget mobile phone manufacturer Spice Mobility has announced the M-67 3D phone, which features a 2.36-inch 240x320 pixel display with a dedicated 3D shortcut key that lets users switch between 2D and 3D viewing modes for the UI, images, and video.

Read the whole story

2. jason4832

jason4832 TS Rookie

common !!!2.5'" screen with 3D. I for some reason dont see any sense in it.

3. Ahmed90

Ahmed90 TS Enthusiast Posts: 99   +10

i think 3D is just a buzz atm why would anybody want 3D in tiny cellphone screen

4. Zoner1501

Zoner1501 TS Enthusiast Posts: 49   +14

Geez, 97 bucks..If this was released in the USA the company would probably charge $500, but ya a 3D screen thats only 2.36 inches is kinda silly

5. grimm808

grimm808 TS Rookie Posts: 30

That screen is definitely way to small for 3D support. No wonder it's only 97 bucks. (it would probably still be a crapload more in the US) but with a screen that size, looking at 3D would be weird...

6. Rod2709

Rod2709 TS Rookie

Talk about dizziness..

7. Recipe7

Recipe7 TS Booster Posts: 143

Seriously? It's not even a technology that would be used in the future... fail.

I would not mind an iphone in 3D though...

8. frodough

frodough TS Rookie Posts: 90

2.36"... that's like that Sammy camera i saw last year that claims to be capable of 60 fps recording but the fine print states that at a resolution of some ridiculous 198 x whatever pixel (literally stamp size). i bet someone will make a laptop and claim a full day of battery life except it's just a 4" screen in a regular size laptop lol, still, affordability for the mass right?

9. SStriker

SStriker TS Rookie

REALLY.....

10. Alster37

Alster37 TS Maniac Posts: 290

Instead of wasting 3D technology in tiny cellphone screens, make it so we can have 3d with any monitor and not have to buy an expensive new one.

11. bioflex

bioflex TS Rookie Posts: 70

i wouldnt say they are wasting technology u know......i am sure it all helps to evalute the tech in the long run.

12. oasis789

oasis789 TS Rookie Posts: 51

i think the low price point makes sense for the domestic india market. not like slumdog millionaire dudes can buy giant 3dtvs

13. edison5do

edison5do TS Rookie Posts: 231

I think they are not wasting it, butget stuff like this maybe help it to be less expensive.. hope...

14. kaonis92

kaonis92 TS Enthusiast Posts: 118

I am curious how 3d look on a 2.5" low-res screen. Just a feature to atract attention.

15. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,677

Hmm, above someone spoke of a possible 3D iphone. With a screen that size it could be interesting.

NOTE: I do believe 3D is a gimmick to sucker in casual consumers who think it's "shiny". Just a thought.

16. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,270   +91

Yes, Techspot, I'm sure we were all deeply disappointed that a $97, Indian, 2.3-inch screen cellphone can't shoot an Avatar-like video...

17. sMILEY4ever

sMILEY4ever TS Booster Posts: 158

3D is the new cool thing now, even though it's not really so cool, so I'd expect people/companies to jump at anything with "3D" in it.

18. vangrat

vangrat TS Rookie Posts: 223

WAIT GUYS GUYS, It has a 2MP camera though!!!

no?

This seems a bit over the top and not really all that useful. Now lets see them create a 7-10in tablet with 3D and the specs of the galaxy tab...then we can talk.

19. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

I don't understand the fad of 3D myself either. Granted I thought it was pretty cool the few times I've seen movies at the theater, but I think it would get pretty old on your home TV. Also, on a cellphone.....2.5"..... WORTHLESS.

It's all hype. Now this manufacturer is being talked about for their 3D capabilities, as well as their ridiculous price. It will most likely open up quite a bit more business for them....assuming they don't get negative reviews.

20. XnaX

XnaX TS Rookie Posts: 39

aw, common guys.. 2.5" 3D! Then you'll be able to watch tiny, cute 3D pictures :D

No, seriously, it's kinda lame.. Though for that price, i think it's not that bad

21. fritz123

fritz123 TS Rookie Posts: 56

guys it's kinda not bad considering the price tag. mobile 3d technology is still kinda young. yeah the screen is kinda small but we have to start somewhere right?

22. Davidoff

Davidoff TS Member Posts: 46

true that

23. samironsy

samironsy TS Rookie

good try but i dont think it will be good like th screens with 3D glasses

24. pyari

pyari TS Rookie Posts: 66

technology is changing day night .......don't know which company introduce what wow gadgets.....those are the beneficial for the user....we can have in small price.....at least we have.....coz we can't achieve brand like apple, sony, nokia, motorolla

25. Richy2k9

Richy2k9 TS Enthusiast Posts: 515

hello ...

i'm a big 3D fan, but making wind on a 2.5" 3D monitor i won't :p
    it will push price down it it goes mainstream & technology from India may be cheap but still good.

cheers!