India's 3D cellphone goes for $97, no glasses required

Emil

Staff

Where can you find an auto-stereoscopic 3D cellphone launching for less than $100 (Rs. 4,299) sans contract? India, of course (by the way, "auto-stereoscopic" is a fancy way of describing a 3D display that doesn't require stereoscopic goggles). Budget mobile phone manufacturer Spice Mobility has announced the M-67 3D phone, which features a 2.36-inch 240x320 pixel display with a dedicated 3D shortcut key that lets users switch between 2D and 3D viewing modes for the UI, images, and video.

Unfortunately, the company doesn't mention the exact kind of auto-stereoscopic technology employed in the LCD screen. Almost all the technologies have limited viewing angles, though this is not exactly a big issue when it comes to cell phones.

The dual-SIM phone (GSM+GSM) is only equipped with a 2D camera, so you can view 3D but you can't capture it. Nevertheless, as we've seen from Nintendo, it looks like we'll be seeing 3D outside of theatres, TV sets, and computer monitors; 3D is going mobile. The phone in question also includes a 2MP camera, FM radio, 3.5 mm audio jack, and storage that is expandable up to 16GB. The handset will be sold through 50,000 retail outlets, including 750 Spice HotSpot stores.

Permalink to story.

Geez, 97 bucks..If this was released in the USA the company would probably charge $500, but ya a 3D screen thats only 2.36 inches is kinda silly

That screen is definitely way to small for 3D support. No wonder it's only 97 bucks. (it would probably still be a crapload more in the US) but with a screen that size, looking at 3D would be weird...

Seriously? It's not even a technology that would be used in the future... fail.

I would not mind an iphone in 3D though...

2.36"... that's like that Sammy camera i saw last year that claims to be capable of 60 fps recording but the fine print states that at a resolution of some ridiculous 198 x whatever pixel (literally stamp size). i bet someone will make a laptop and claim a full day of battery life except it's just a 4" screen in a regular size laptop lol, still, affordability for the mass right?

Instead of wasting 3D technology in tiny cellphone screens, make it so we can have 3d with any monitor and not have to buy an expensive new one.

Alster37 said:
Instead of wasting 3D technology in tiny cellphone screens, make it so we can have 3d with any monitor and not have to buy an expensive new one.

i wouldnt say they are wasting technology u know......i am sure it all helps to evalute the tech in the long run.

i think the low price point makes sense for the domestic india market. not like slumdog millionaire dudes can buy giant 3dtvs

Hmm, above someone spoke of a possible 3D iphone. With a screen that size it could be interesting.

NOTE: I do believe 3D is a gimmick to sucker in casual consumers who think it's "shiny". Just a thought.

The dual-SIM phone (GSM+GSM) is only equipped with a 2D camera, so you can view 3D but you can't capture it.

Yes, Techspot, I'm sure we were all deeply disappointed that a $97, Indian, 2.3-inch screen cellphone can't shoot an Avatar-like video...

3D is the new cool thing now, even though it's not really so cool, so I'd expect people/companies to jump at anything with "3D" in it.

WAIT GUYS GUYS, It has a 2MP camera though!!!

no?

This seems a bit over the top and not really all that useful. Now lets see them create a 7-10in tablet with 3D and the specs of the galaxy tab...then we can talk.

I don't understand the fad of 3D myself either. Granted I thought it was pretty cool the few times I've seen movies at the theater, but I think it would get pretty old on your home TV. Also, on a cellphone.....2.5"..... WORTHLESS.

It's all hype. Now this manufacturer is being talked about for their 3D capabilities, as well as their ridiculous price. It will most likely open up quite a bit more business for them....assuming they don't get negative reviews.

aw, common guys.. 2.5" 3D! Then you'll be able to watch tiny, cute 3D pictures :D

No, seriously, it's kinda lame.. Though for that price, i think it's not that bad

guys it's kinda not bad considering the price tag. mobile 3d technology is still kinda young. yeah the screen is kinda small but we have to start somewhere right?

fritz123 said:
guys it's kinda not bad considering the price tag. mobile 3d technology is still kinda young. yeah the screen is kinda small but we have to start somewhere right?

true that

technology is changing day night .......don't know which company introduce what wow gadgets.....those are the beneficial for the user....we can have in small price.....at least we have.....coz we can't achieve brand like apple, sony, nokia, motorolla

hello ...

i'm a big 3D fan, but making wind on a 2.5" 3D monitor i won't :p
it will push price down it it goes mainstream & technology from India may be cheap but still good.

cheers!

Back