Solved Infected computer with claro and installing fresh with SSD

upgrayedd

A computer that I have been using seems to be infected with claro and probably other things. I am planning on installing a SSD with a fresh copy of windows 7 and use the other drives that have the previous windows files still intact and other files for more storage. I am planning on keeping the files on the other drives. There are also other external drives that are being used on the computer. A friend told me as long as I do a fresh install of windows 7 on the SSD and connect the other drives, the infections will not compromise the computer. He said some other things that I should look out for but I want to know if any of this has any truth behind it. If this is not true than I will need help cleaning the infections. There is also another computer on the network that could also be compromised and that computer will also need to be scanned and cleaned. I might need to make another post about the other computer. Please let me know how I should proceed. I wanted to let you guys know this information and get some advice before doing the preliminary instructions. Thank you.

What about the other Sata drives? Windows is going to be installed on a new ssd but there are going to be two other sata drives also connected along with the usb drives.

To be totally safe I'd put those SATA drives into USB hard drive enclosures and scan them first before installing them as internal drives.

Ok I installed a fresh copy of windows. I have eset installed. Should I install one of those usb programs? Will they conflict with each other?

Also, windows defender was installed, should I remove that because eset nod32 is also installed? Does MSE automatically get installed because I cannot find it. How can I tell its on the computer? Thanks.

Windows Defender is not an AV program so it'll not interfere with Eset.
However WD is totally worthless so you can disable it whatsoever.

Does MSE automatically get installed
No, not on Windows 7.

If you use some USB drives which have a contact with some other computers it's always safe to install one of those programs.

So are you saying that I can install one of those usb programs you mentioned and it will not conflict with eset nod32? The usb drives will always be connected to the computer.

If you're referring to Panda USB Vaccine, or BitDefender’s USB Immunizer then yes you can have them along Eset.

Back