TechSpot

[Info] Does Anyone Know What The *32 I'm Seeing Is?

By dgk4711
Dec 9, 2011
  1. Hi, Everyone!

I'm brand new to the forum as a participant, but have read great info on here before so thought I'd throw this out to the pros. :)

I notice in my task manager, various programs running that have a (*32) at the end of the title of the program. For example, it might say, "OUTLOOK.EXE *32" or "OctoshapeClient.exe *32", etc. It appears quite a lot on my task manager. I'm not sure if I need to be alarmed ... ?

I am on a Dell Inspiron laptop with Windows 7 (64 bit.) Not sure if I'm providing enough information, but I sure do appreciate any insight you guys might have for me.

For the most part, my laptop seems to be running just fine. (*knocks on wood*) I'm just trying to see if I need to be concerned about the *32 that I keep seeing ... ?

Thank you in advance for your help with this! I really, really appreciate it!

2. dgk4711

dgk4711 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Should I Feel Silly? Found My Answer!

Hi, again, everyone:

Just wanted to say that I actually found the answer to the *32 question ... it's a 32 bit process running on my 64 bit system - now that I know the answer, it seems relatively logical. :)

Anyway, thank you to those who took the time to read my post. I apologize if it was too basic of a question. Like I said, just getting started here. I respect everyone on these boards immensely.

Have a great night,

Donna

3. Broni

Broni Malware Annihilator Posts: 47,581   +267

Welcome aboard [​IMG]

4. dgk4711

dgk4711 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you!

Thank you, Broni! :)

I've read, and learned, so much here on TechSpot in the past that when I came across this *32 dilemma, I figured I'd better rush over to this site and check with the experts. Glad it worked out - i.e. that it wasn't a malware issue. (she types with crossed fingers, as she knocks on wood and tosses a pinch of salt over her left shoulder.) :)

Anyway, I hope you're having a great night out there in my home state of California. I miss it and hope to be back soon!

Take care, Broni!

Donna

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.