[Info] Whats a good free email scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

treetops

I use avira and it does not offer email protection. Should I get email protection? If so whats a good free program?

To save you some time....
You don't really need any separate email scanner.
Your AV programs scans all aspects of your computer including emails.

Every AV program, including Avira will scan any file you try to save/download to your computer, including files coming through email.
No extra module is needed.
For instance, I use Avast and I have email scanning turned off as I regard it as a waste of resources.

Caveats:

Please note that AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus does not have Mailguard feature to scan incoming emails for viruses and malware . Outgoing emails can be scanned for viruses and malware by MailGuard.
But in all AntiVir product, the option "Scan when reading and writing" is ticked by default so if an infected file is attached to an email, AntiVir will detected it. Here is an extract of the manual :

If this option is enabled, the Guard scans files before opening, reading and executing and
after writing. This option is enabled as the default setting and is recommended.

As for scanning all downloads> if the user saves the attachment to the desktop and does a right click> scan with AV, these files are not automatically scanned

http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=765773

I do not say this for argument, but only so the member does not have a false sense of security.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back