Inspiron 1525 crashes every so often

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't have this problem before, so I have no idea why it still happens, even after I reformatted it to W7 32-Bit Ulti

Specs

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
CPU
Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T5550 @ 1.83GHz 53 °C
Merom 65nm Technology
RAM
2.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 332MHz 5-5-5-15
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0U990C (Microprocessor)
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor @ 1280x800
Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1)
Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1)
Hard Drives
160GB Seagate ST9160827AS ATA Device (Unknown Interface) 41 °C
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-L632H ATA Device
Audio
High Definition Audio Device

Also, is it possible to change my Video Cards? I would...really, really want to. I've been told that its nigh impossible to change it..

May want to check in the event viewer to see if there is any pattern in errors. If there is nothing in there that appears useful you could check your RAM with either the Windows 7 checker from the disk or memtest86.

You aren't going to be able to replace your video card.

Ehm, what sort of errors should I look for.

Also, I had the same problem when I was on Vista. Kept shutting down all of a sudden. I've been told that I've either got a corrupted os or hardware issues.

look for system errors and then application errors.

if you've had the problem with two other operating systems, it's a safe bet that it's the computer itself. it's very possible that your RAM may be faulty like SNG mentioned. memory can die over time and is a very easy fix if you choose to replace it.

Found these errors.

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power
Date: 3/19/2010 12:22:46 PM
Event ID: 37
Task Category: (7)
Level: Warning
Keywords:
User: SYSTEM
Computer: pcx
Description:
The speed of processor 1 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 19 seconds since the last report.

and

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 3/19/2010 5:22:00 PM
Event ID: 86
Task Category: (83)
Level: Error
Keywords: (32)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: pcx
Description:
The system was shut down due to a critical thermal event.
Shutdown Time = ‎2010‎-‎03‎-‎19T09:22:00.974094900Z
ACPI Thermal Zone = ACPI\ThermalZone\THM_
_CRT = 358K

Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power issues sometimes are solved by simple BIOS update, also if you can post minidumps it may be helpful; you can find these in C:\windows\minidump folder, if there are multiple dumps zip them in one single file.

I can't find my minidumps folder? And, how do I go about updating my BIOS? Tried Windows Update but not getting anything.

You should be able to find exact model number of your Inspiron 1525 (notebook?) at the bottom side; if you can provide me that I will be able to find the appropriate link for your BIOS update from Dell.

To collect minidumps:

1. Click "Start", input "SYSDM.CPL" (without quotation marks) in the “Search” bar and press “Enter”; or in XP right click on My Computer, then Go to Properties.
2. Switch to the "Advanced" tab and click the "Settings" button under "Startup and Recovery".
3. Under "Write debugging information" / "System Failure" section, make sure the "Small memory dump (64 or 128KB)" option is selected and Write an Event to the System Log is checked.
4. Make sure "%SystemRoot%\Minidump" is in the "dump directory" open box and click “OK”.

Note: you can manually make minidump folder in &SystemRoot% (i.e. your windows folder) by:
1. Open a Command Prompt by going to Start, Programs, Accessories, and Right Click on Command Prompt then select Run as Administrator.
2. type cd \ and press enter
3. type cd windows and press enter
4. type md minidump and press enter
5. type exit and press enter

Please download Inspiron 1525 PP29L BIOS; and update it. Usually its straightforward process with a single executable file which you need to run with administrative privileges.

As a precaution do back up your necessary data on DVD/or External HDD medium.

Once you have done the above, also proceed with updation of your motherboard's chipset drivers.

Edit:
I just noticed they haven't posted Windows 7 drivers; so please just ignore my recommendation about chipset drivers for now.

Alright, please keep us posted, and be patient during the BIOS upate, as a general rule never do anything while it is being in progress / nor turn your computer off.

BIOS updated, too soon to say if it would still crash. Apparently the current version was 17 and I was on 11.

Just created minidump folder.

Please go to control panel, administrative tools, and open event viewer, and go through logs there, especially logs with red/yellow tags and see what errors are being recorded (details etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back