Installed I386 Folder......no C PROMPT on LAPTOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvolZx6R

So I have a laptop that doesnt have a cd or floppy drive and in need of an XP install. I used the bootdisk to get to the DOS prompt; partitioned and formatted C and D drives. Both drives are fat32.

I copied all the I386 folders on my fat32 D drive while the HD was connected to my desktop computer. (took over 3hrs to copy all the files)

I put the HD back in the laptop and I got NO OPERATING SYSTEM FOUND.
I checked BIOS and made sure its setup to boot from HD. I didn't get the C:\> prompt I was hoping for. I have the files but can't access them. Is the C prompt supposed to come up on its own? If so, what makes it do that?

This is my last step to installing XP.

HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

what?

EvolZx6R said:
So I have a laptop that doesnt have a cd or floppy drive.

EvolZx6R said:
I used the bootdisk to get to the DOS prompt.

QUESTION: How did you use a bootdisk if you dont have a CD or Floppy drive?

You said that you have plugged the laptop HDD into your PC and copied files over...

Why dont you set the laptop HDD as the primary HDD on your PC and start the XP setup from there... then let the XP setup copy the installation files to the hard disk.... then turn it off.

Plug the HDD back into the laptop and power on - the setup should resume from where it left off (with all install files copied to the HDD) - thus eliminating the need for the CD

failing that - BUY AN EXTERNAL USB CD DRIVE - read the microshaft info on booting from USB CD Drives....

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/usb-boot.mspx

Son Of A.......no Power

I'm ready to give that a try but now my laptop doesnt even powerup! WTF! It powered up fine last night (w/HD in) and I left it charged overnight, w/o the hard drive in it. This morning I get nothing from the laptop....

Talk about frustrating!

Any ideas whats causing this?

From a boot-floppy, you should format that laptop C-drive incl. system!
format c: /s
Put it back in the laptop, boot from HD and you'll get your prompt.

Still not booting to dos

I did the format C: /s and put the laptop back in. I still get the No OS Found message.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back