Installed Windows Vista on a previously XP computer, and now my Sims2 won't play

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently formatted my XP computer and had a hellova time getting it back in working order... Ended up putting windows Vista on it because as it turns out the CD that the comptuer place gave with with XP on it was stolen. Anyways, I got the thing up and running, installed the SIms2, and now it's telling me I need a directx 9 compatible graphics adapter to run it.... this just doesn't make sence to me because it worked fabulosly before! I've been playing it for months and months!
I've tried everyyything with downloading drivers and such to make it work, but it just isn't co operating. Does this mean I somehow fried the card when I formatted the thing?? Here's some of my computer info...

OS NAME: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic
VERSION: 6.06.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001
SYSTEM MANUFACTURER: Compaq
SYSTEM MODEL: Evo D510 CMT
SYSTEM TYPE: X86-based PC
PROCESSOR: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 1994 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 1 Logical Processors
BIOS VERSION/DATE: Compaq 686O2, V 2.21, 28/05/2003
SMBIOS VERSION: 2.3
WINDOWS DIRECTORY: C:\Windows
INSTALLED PHYSICAL MEMORY: 1.50 GB
TOTAL PHYSICAL MEMORY: 1.49 GB
AVAILABLE PHYSICAL MEMORY: 810 MB
TOTAL VIRTUAL MEMORY: 3.23 GB
AVAILABLE VIRTUAL MEMORY: 2.31 GB

Yes... yes there is, but I can't figure out how to download whatever it is I need because every thing that I've tried says that driver is up to date! But there is a yellow icon by Standard VGA Graphics Adapter, under Display Adapers. When I click it it says
This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.
And I did try the solution thing too which came back with nothing.

The method you should use to update your drivers is to go to the website directly, locate the driver, download it and then install it. Do this all manually. It's not clear to me but are you using a built-in onboard graphics "card" or a separate one? If it is an onboard card, go to the Compaq/HP website to get the necessary graphics driver. If there are yellow symbols next to any other hardware items, get those drivers as well.

Problem is that you're running Vista, which is a DX10 based system. The Sims requires DX9. Many games (but not all) don't fair well under DX10 unless the manufacturer provides a patch for DX10. What you could do is try running in compatability mode. The drawback to that is you won't get the high resolutions and the games sometimes look like crap. Check EA for a DX10 patch, but I doubt there is one since The Sims 3 will be out soon.

I am running an onboard graphics card.... and no matter what drivers I seem to download or where I seem to go it says the thing is up to date dispite the yellow icon on device manager.
sghiznaneck, you're explination definately makes sence. How do I go about running the game in capability mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back