Installed XP-Not Compatible-Can't Remove it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried to upgrade a computer (Compaq/700Mhz/128Mg Ram) from Win 98SE to XP Home, and the install kept telling me particular files were missing as the install proceeded. I had options of Retry-Skip-Cancel Install. I Skipped all the missing files, and the install proceeded then gave me an error message at the end for each "missing" file.
At that point, I wanted to just abandon the XP install and revert back the 98SE.
I can't find the XP software on add/remove programs, or on the program menu.
Now, when I boot the computer up, I get an option to select an OS....XP or Windows. If I choose XP, I get a message that the "system\hal.dll file is missing or corrupt". I'm sick of chasing that problem, and would like to just trash the XP and get back to normal.....running the old 98SE!

Any suggestions or insight?

Thanks!
Joe Murphy
Glen Allen, Virginia

Somewhere on the harddisk must be a directory with the XP-stuff in it. Find that first.
ONLY if your Win98 is still working, boot from a W98 bootfloppy. When you see the A:\> prompt, type in fdisk /mbr and hit enter.
Next, type in sys c: and hit enter.
After it has copied the files, remove the floppy and boot normal. You should go straight into W98.
Now you can delete the XP-stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back