Installing a program

genekle

using windows xp home I can download the program but it will not let me install it. Tried turning off antivirus but that did not help. any suggestions.

WE would need a lot more information than that... operating system, file downloaded, computer configuration, details of the operating sytem...

To install a program (which will write to the Program Files directory and make additions to the Windows Registry),
the user needs to have Admin privileges, not user. Login with the Admin ID

operating system OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name BILL-5D7939CD9E
System Manufacturer TOSHIBA
System Model Satellite M35X
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~1298 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date TOSHIBA V1.60, 11/30/2004
SMBIOS Version 2.31
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name BILL-5D7939CD9E\Bill
Time Zone Central Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 1,536.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 941.22 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 3.32 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
, browser firefox

I don't see the brand and model of hard drive, nor the build date... But looks as if you may need a new hard drive or possibly a motherboard as that model of Toshiba has had more than its share of problems.
I would start by saving all your data, download all the drivers, then feformat and reinstall the hard drive... and cross your gingers.
It might be a bad time to replace the hard drive, since prices are high, but if you do, then save the old one as is to save all the data. Or you can put the drive into an externa enclosure and save everything to a desktop burn to a DVD.

it happens on all downloaded files. tried alot of files
kind of proves you are not using an admin logon
use Control Panel->User Accounts

you should see your login account; does it show it as an Administrator Account?
if so, it should also offer "Pick an account to change"

But looks as if you may need a new hard drive or possibly a motherboard as that model of Toshiba has had more than its share of problems.
sheez; Please don't speculate like that - - I've had my Mx35 since 2005 without any problems.

The user's problem smacks of permission issues and nothing here suggests a motherboard problem OR a HD read/write issue as yet (ie system would not boot if the HD was R/O)

Are you willing to give a money-back guarantee for your advice?

Of course, I am only speculating... But we service a lot of accounts where they employ folks for outside sales. We see a large number of failures with that Toshiba series... Not anywhere close to a Gateway, or the Hewlett Packard 6000 and 8000 series, but if it has a Hitachi or a Samsung or a Western Digital blue, that would be my expectation... especially when the user has had no problems up utnil now.

What programs are you trying to install? What does it do when you try to install them?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Back