Installing Windows 7, do I need Dell OEM and Recovery partitions?

By jshaw42
Apr 25, 2010
  1. I am doing a full install of Windows 7 on a Dell Studio XPS 1640 laptop which has Vista installed currently. When I get to the window which says, "Where do you want to install Windows?" it offers three choices.

Disk 0 Partition 1 OEM (Reserved) with 150 MB total size 140 MB free space
    Disk 0 Partition 2: RECOVERY (D: with 15.0 GB total size 7.5 primary
    Disk 0 Partition 3: OS (C:

I am assuming Partition 3: OS (C: is the proper place to install, but will the new install eliminate the other partitions? Do I need these partitions?
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,233   +234

No you will not need the other 2 partitions. Delete them to recover the space for Windows 7
  3. jshaw42

jshaw42 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks!!! Will W7 do that automatically or do I have to take an action of some sort?
  4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,233   +234

You will probably have to select the partitions manually and select the delete option
  5. jshaw42

jshaw42 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Actually, Dell, in it's controlling wisdom, will not allow formatting of the OEM (reserved) partition. But I really don't need that space. The upgrade went rather smoothly. Most drivers were available and I am re-installing programs at the moment. The only one I am having problems with is Adobe CS4 Web Premium. For some reason, the CD can't be read by the laptop.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.