Installing Zone Alarm causes reboot

Lol well my tempory 'fix' for this is to install another firewall, Im tring this one.

http://www.online-armor.com/products-online-armor-free.php

So.. I will probably let you know how I get on.

I rally do not want to install a firewall which actually manages to do as much damage as a nasty virus (reboot my computer) so ZA is in the dustbin which is a shame cos it used to be great but ended up a piece of ****.
From hero to zero.

i don't know if this might apply.. but fyi....

I was recently in another thread where installing ZA also seemed to cause system problems (in that case, both the wireless and Ethernet adapters no longer would connect due to driver errors)

Did your anti-virus report anything or interfere? (My guess in the case in other thread where A/V reported a message, i believe it detected a false positive and interfered with the ZA driver installation which, in turn, had a side affect on existing drivers).

Just a thought... So just curious if you saw any A/V messages? Or you also might look in your virus vault to see if anything was put there about the time of the ZA install?

hmmm well I had a lot of trouble with that new firewall, it wanted to do a massive scan first.
There were options to skip this and configure program as the ran however when I got to the end of that I said restart which I did and then it wanted to do all the install stuff again!!

During this time the install shield on AVG had stopped working and I could not restart it so I had to do a system restore.

Also prior to that I was getting and msconfig access denied error which I had had before and cured.
Not sure if that had anything to do with it, but I had tried to reinstal AVG but when I tried to run the setup I got some access denied thing, which may be related to the msconfig thing again.
I posted a threat about the msconfig and the fix using diagnostic startup. I may have to try that again but its a lengthy process I think.

problems problems!!

Well, I won't try to speculate any further (as there's no way to know for sure what happened) but i'll add the following comments

1) At least anyone reading can beware that recent ZA installs were involved with resulting system problems

2) Tho, on behalf of ZA, it might have been your AVG interfering.

IMHO: When installing products is always worthwhile to check their instructions to see those which advise you to turn off your A/V before continuing with the installation (and i think most, if not all, firewalls do. Even stuff like printers)

Of course, one SHOULD FIRST check the download/install is from a trusted and secure site before doing so, but turning off the A/V till the install completes can save many headaches

In any case, you have a firewall installed that now works. So, of course, best stick with it now for sure :)

i don't know if this might apply.. but fyi....

I was recently in another thread where installing ZA also seemed to cause system problems (in that case, both the wireless and Ethernet adapters no longer would connect due to driver errors)

Did your anti-virus report anything or interfere? (My guess in the case in other thread where A/V reported a message, i believe it detected a false positive and interfered with the ZA driver installation which, in turn, had a side affect on existing drivers).

Just a thought... So just curious if you saw any A/V messages? Or you also might look in your virus vault to see if anything was put there about the time of the ZA install?

No I saw no a/v messages.
Well just to confuse thing my AVG did report something at about that time (which I thought weird).
Actually I figured out why, when the online- armour was doing its scan it will access files and my resident shied will then scan them, that's why it reported it.
It was something called Deskscan.exe, which was an old backed--up file on my other drive. Anyway that's deleted now.
However after that the resident shield on AVG would not work however I did a system restore and it fixed it.
I can now access the ZA set-up file and I am running it.

However I am a bit worried as last time I did that

Actually I just realised I was not running the ZA setup I was running the AVG set-up, I got them confused so, so I aborted that.

So I do not have ZA on my system, when I tried to install it before it rebooted my system so I am not in a hurry to do that again!!

Well, I won't try to speculate any further (as there's no way to know for sure what happened) but i'll add the following comments

1) At least anyone reading can beware that recent ZA installs were involved with resulting system problems

2) Tho, on behalf of ZA, it might have been your AVG interfering.

IMHO: When installing products is always worthwhile to check their instructions to see those which advise you to turn off your A/V before continuing with the installation (and i think most, if not all, firewalls do. Even stuff like printers)

Of course, one SHOULD FIRST check the download/install is from a trusted and secure site before doing so, but turning off the A/V till the install completes can save many headaches

In any case, you have a firewall installed that now works. So, of course, best stick with it now for sure :)

Wel I have my old firewall called Sunbelt but I will not work with one application so I have to turn it off which is not desirable.
I am fairly happy to do that occasionally but it is not desirable.
I take comfort that AVG usually picks up any 'nasties' as it did with the previous program mentioned.

I would like to fixed the accesssed denied problem, I had that before but it came back again.
I think that was when I ran a diagnostic start-up a while back (for something else - I can't remember).
So I think sometging in the services on msconfig which the diagnostic startup swiched on caused that but I do not know what.

But my system is generally ok at the minute so I will sort that out at my leisure as it involves a lot of reboots.

I think some sort of sharing networkings service I do not need may have caused it.

I will have a look in services in administrative tool and switch anything off that the desciption indicates I should not need and see if that helps.

So I think sometging in the services on msconfig which the diagnostic startup swiched on caused that but I do not know what.

Do you have an HP printer installed? At least the last time i saw this problem with msconfig, if i recall correctly, it was due to one of the HP printer services interfering

See if this applies (it's about fix msconfig and HP printer services)

/* edit */
I don't know what OS you're using.. Tho, for that matter, recommend you update your TechSpot profile to show your system specs. Can be handy so is available in the future whenver you post a problem (no need to repeat your specs in new threads) :)

See if this applies (it's about fix msconfig and HP printer services)

/* edit */
I don't know what OS you're using.. Tho, for that matter, recommend you update your TechSpot profile to show your system specs. Can be handy so is available in the future whenver you post a problem (no need to repeat your specs in new threads) :)

OK will do.

I have gone done the HP printer route before and got nowhere.

In this thread I solve it and am helping others lol.

Then I saw the last post and did what it suggested and it broughtt he problem back IIRC!!

However there is a date on that so a system restore to before that date might fix it.

I am not 100% sure if I the problem returned first and then I tried that to fix it unfortunately
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic42578-4.html

Oh well problem problems!!

OK I just turned off a bunch of services.
I am not sure what they do, I just turn off ones that like something I probably do not need.
I guess I will find out later if I need them and turn them back on if something stops working.

I may try to install ZA with AV turned off but ZA screwed by computer so bad once killing my internet aces once I vowed never to use it again.
I mean it is bad when a firewall (or A/V) causes more problems than a virus

Well I am using my old firewall now.
More interested in getting rid of the msconfig access denied error I tried what I did before but that will not
work now.

Also I don't see to have any old checkpoints so I can't restore it seems.

Not a big problem as it is a 'cosmetic problem'. Would like to sort it out though.

First an aside about msconfig..

Do I understand correctly that you've been running msconfig in Selective Startup mode for your day-to-day use? I know there are some who say to go ahead and do that, i'm of the rather strong opinion msconfig Selective Startup mode should only be used as intended (and as MS states it's was designed and intended): For diagnostic purposes only. So you can experiment/debug your service startups and still rely on knowing if things go wrong you can always fall back to Normal startup to get back to where you were.

One classic reason: Any professional help you find (e.g. this post for help with an Adobe problem) assumes you run Normal Startup. So follow any help post and you can lose your selective startup settings) Also take a read here on Major Geeks for another summary of good reasons

My suggestion: Once you use Selective Startup to adjust service startups the way you like, then modify those services so they become their default. Then go back to Normal Startup mode. You can use a handy tool like Serviwin
> To get a user friendly view of your services and current settings
> You can modify settings using Serviwin as well
> And one of the best features: You can easily create a report of services and settings!!

I like to do generate the reports as tab delimited text which i can then import into Excel
> So i can easily save a snapshot of services and settings
> Easy to examine stuff in Excel or serviwin. Just click on a column header to sort by column

Of course, bottom line is you run/use you machine as you want to/see fit.. but is my opinion on using msconfig for debugging (as you now need to do again by turning un-essential services off so you can turn things on to find the offender)

Yippie!!!!

I have solved it!!

well to a certain extent!!

The problem is the

True Vector Internet monitor

Which is under the services tab in msconfig.

If you leave it disabled you get the access denied error, so you just enable it (tick box)
and hey presto the problem goes away.

I messed about with my services a bit so I may have a few other running I do not want
but that is a minor problem.

The process concerned is

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe -service

However that process does not exist on my my machine.

I am just wondering how to get rid of the all traces of ZA (chuck hard drive in bin??)

I have solved it!!

well to a certain extent!!

The problem is the

True Vector Internet monitor

Which is under the services tab in msconfig.

If you leave it disabled you get the access denied error, so you just enable it (tick box)
and hey presto the problem goes away.

I messed about with my services a bit so I may have a few other running I do not want
but that is a minor problem.
Good catch! :approve:

Now save current snapshot of services using Serviwin, change service defaults and then go back to Normal Startup ;) (if you want to, that is, of course :) )

Good catch! :approve:

Now save current snapshot of services using Serviwin, change service defaults and then go back to Normal Startup ;) (if you want to, that is, of course :) )

Thanks!!

This thread drew me to ZA.
http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/842671.htm

It rang a bell because I resolved it before by using normal startup which I think automatically enables all services.

Then I went through and disabled them until the problem came back, I was doing half at a time, I was unsure exactly fixed it.

Anyway when I read some guy saying to use diagnostic startup I think that disabled it again or whatever but it all got very confusing.

Seems ZA tries to protect itself from viruses disabling it or something.

I may now able to install ZA again.

I will have a think about whether to do that or not. It was a great program before it screwed my system once, and to be fair
a Microsoft update caused it (incompatible).
I can't configure my other firewall manually and that's a problem.

Also i think I have a few service running now which I do not need, its hard work sorting that out. They are all so cryptically named.
Was funny I had almosty all services disabled so I had no internet so I had to start thing manually took ages and I ended up
with every service under the sun running,
I will have a look at that Serviwin

Also I think I should do a check point soon.

Any way it feel great to have finally 'nailed' that one!!

Yes that servwin looks very helpful.
Easy to match process names in the task manager to the names in msconfig-services.
I will just switch off the ones running which I do not recognize.

All the svchost area problem they all run with different flags. I am sure I have more than before.
I think some are for a local network, which I do not have, but obviously others are for my
internet connections so I have to be a bit careful.

I think I wil leave that for the time being though, I do not want to do too much at the same time ;)

I would suggest you to rid your system of ZA for good, I don't think ZA is upto the mark any more (they were good in XP era, but since Vista they've not been able to come up with a qualitatively good/stable firewall).

In one of your post you talked about online armor, I think its a very very good solution along side Comodo (which is a bit 'pain in the **** to learn, to say it politely) ;)

Personally, I am using AVG in conjunction with Comodo PF x64, for a long long time without any issues.

I've been using Comodo for many years on different computers/laptops and I highly recommend it too. Its much better than most offerings in my opinion. Once you get used to it that is.

Right I have Comodo installed now.
I was put off before because it just says SP2 and I have SP3. however I have it installed now.

It seems to work fine, it does not cause a problem my old firewall caused, however turning off the firewall cured that! It has not blocked anything yet that I am aware of yet.

Anyway I have AVG a well so I feel pretty safe!

There is bit of a learning curve as I earlier said, but once you are through it, it is one of the best solutions available. I hope your issue is resolved now. Good luck for future.

Back