Intel adds new Core i5 and Pentium CPUs, readies six-core i7-970

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Intel has quietly added two new desktop processors to its lineup, and another six-core chip could be in the pipeline. The 32nm Core i5-680 houses two cores running at 3.6GHz and can scale up to 3.86GHz with Turbo Boost. Features include Hyper-Threading support, 4MB lf L3 cache, and a 733MHz integrated graphics core.

The second new addition is a 2.8GHz dual-core, LGA775-bound Pentium E5500. Mostly intended for "casual users" the chip is built on older 45nm fabrication technology, has 2MB of cache, and doesn't support Hyper-Threading or Turbo Boost. Pricing for the i5-680 reportedly starts around $294, while Pentium E5500 runs about $75.

In somewhat related news, Intel reportedly plans to launch its second six-core desktop processor in the coming weeks. The Core i7-970 is supposedly clocked at 3.2GHz and should be priced cheaper than the existing hexa-core i7-980X.

Permalink to story.

Jesus christ intel we dont want any more ****ing dual core i5 cpus. Put out a 32nm quad i5 already FFS.

Why would they bother with a new LGA775 platform chip? wouldn't it be better to 'encourage' 'casual users' to go for an i3? Really you can get a pretty good bang for the buck with an i3 and mATX based systems.

Actually, I would much more prefer to have a 5 Ghz dual core CPU than a 2.8Ghz six core.

It would be so much much better for most of the stuff I do, which do not include 3d animation, cad and audio/video encoding.

But, that's just dreaming... perhaps AMD would one day catch up on this

Why would they bother with a new LGA775 platform chip? wouldn't it be better to 'encourage' 'casual users' to go for an i3? Really you can get a pretty good bang for the buck with an i3 and mATX based systems.

The post bothers me because anyone here can say how many times people have complained about intel forgetting people with older platforms. Well at least they're thinking about those people. IMO shut up and ride with it, be greatful 775 isnt dead yet. That's the problem with most people, solve one issue uppon request they come up with something else.

supersmashbrada said:

The post bothers me because anyone here can say how many times people have complained about intel forgetting people with older platforms. Well at least they're thinking about those people. IMO shut up and ride with it, be greatful 775 isnt dead yet. That's the problem with most people, solve one issue uppon request they come up with something else.

Well at the very least they could stop making 'new' chips for the 775. They can always manufacture the same old chips until the platform truly does become obsolete - and it will eventually (just like I don't think you'll encounter too many users using the Windows 95 OS anymore). Yes there is a delicate balance between the new and the old. The people complaining about intel forgetting older platforms could 'shut up and ride with it' so to speak. Technology will continue to advance if we like it or not. What Intel and motherboard manufacturers 'could' do (or at least be encouraged by the older tech users) is offer some sort of trade in deal to make sure the older stuff is properly disposed/recycled.

Well at the very least they could stop making 'new' chips for the 775.
Why ?
The most successful socket of Intel's recent past is the LGA 775 and this socket has accounted for some 79 percent of all Intel desktop CPUs in Q1 2010.
This trend won’t go down by much in Q2 as Intel expects that 72 percent of all CPUs in Q2 will again be socket 775. This platform still has a long life to live for and even in Q3 Intel plans that 66 percent of all CPU to sell to end up in the socket 775 environment. In Q4 2010 the company plans that the socket 775 part of the market will go down to a still predominant 60 percent. (quoted from Fudzilla)
They can always manufacture the same old chips until the platform truly does become obsolete .
Awesome ! It sounds like your philosophy could revolutionize the business world
- and it will eventually.
Are you sure about this? I mean, the introduction of new technology rendering the old stuff obsolete sounds like pie-in-the-sky to me. I think we need to see examples of this happening before we jump to any rash conclusions.
Yes there is a delicate balance between the new and the old.
Except when the "old" is still the predominant selling series of SKU's being sold "now" and "for at least the rest of the year"
The people complaining about intel forgetting older platforms could 'shut up and ride with it' so to speak.
The only people who, in general, complain about Intel supposedly leaving their customers on a perennial upgrade cycle are AMD fanatics. Intel owners (again in general) seem to appreciate that a platform that adds functionality (i.e. tri or quad channel memory, on-die graphics, PCIe 3.0 etc) likely requires a change in both motherboard and CPU.
What Intel and motherboard manufacturers 'could' do (or at least be encouraged by the older tech users) is offer some sort of trade in deal to make sure the older stuff is properly disposed/recycled.
It's called eBay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back