Intel adds new ULV Sandy Bridge chips for ultraslim laptops

Jos

Intel has added four new ultra-low voltage Sandy Bridge processors models to its lineup. The chips were launched without much fanfare over the weekend with an update on Intel's CPU price list that included a Celeron part, a Core i5 and a couple of Core i7 models, all sporting a maximum TDP of 17 watts.

The range starts with the dual-core Mobile Celeron 847, priced at $134, featuring clock speeds of 1.1GHz with no Hyper Threading, no Turbo Boost and a mere 2MB of L3 cache. Moving on, the Core i5-2557M also packs two cores but offers Hyper Threading support and 3MB of L3 cache. It also supports Turbo Boost, which means the stock 1.7GHz frequency can go up to 2.7GHz when single-thread performance is needed most. Pricing for this chip is set at $250.

Lastly, the Core i7-2637M and Core i7-2667M, priced at $289 and $317 each in 1000-unit bulk quantities, are also dual-core parts with four threads but they feature 4MB of L3. These chips are clocked at 1.7GHz and 1.8GHz, respectively, and can go up to 2.8GHz and 2.9GHz with Turbo Boost.

All four ULV processors are intended for -- though not necessarily limited to -- a breed of thin and light laptops that Intel is calling Ultrabooks, which includes systems like Apple's MacBook Air and Asus' upcoming UX21. They are characterized for being less than 20mm (0.8 inch) thick, using fast solid-state drives for storage, and starting at less than $1,000.

Permalink to story.

Back