Intel caught faking Ivy Bridge DX11 demo, explains itself

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

During a purported "live" demonstration at CES this week, Intel was caught using pre-recorded footage. The chipmaker took the stage to show its upcoming Ivy Bridge processing architecture and as part of the presentation, it showed the chip's integrated graphics powering a DirectX 11 game -- or so it wanted you to believe, anyway. At the start of the demo, you can clearly see VLC's controls appearing over the display, revealing the fact that onlookers were watching a video and not live gameplay.

Intel's Presentation Fail (via ITworld)

Realizing the farce was up, Mooly Eden, general manager of Intel's PC client group, awkwardly tried to defuse the situation. "Now the interesting thing for you to note is that this is a DX11 game. What you can also note is that I can drive the race with one hand only. And the interesting thing about this game is that actually I can race without my hands at all because they are driving it from backstage," a flustered Eden remarked as he walked away from the wheel. Embarrassing, surely, but not that big of a deal.

True Ivy Bridge DX11 Gameplay (via AnandTech)

Although Intel was caught with its pants down, the company didn't misrepresent the capabilities of its hardware, and that's what's most important in our opinion. The company later explained that the F1 2011 demo was added to its presentation at the last minute and it simply didn't have time to prepare a live showing. Anandtech spoke with Intel during the event and shot genuinely live footage of an Ivy Bridge Ultrabook running F1 2011 in DX11 at 1366x768 with what appears to be medium/lowish settings.

Permalink to story.

It probably would have been better to simply acknowledge that they were playing a video from the the start and claim technical difficulties. Anything other than this awkwardness.

Agreed 100% Guest. I was thinking the same thing. It would have been better to just explain the situation upfront but offer live demos after the presentation. I'm not sure who they expected to fool with a crowd full of camera-wielding tech press.

This is pathetic on almost every level. Added at the last minute? That's a fail on management/planning. Fake "demonstration" shows they think it's acceptable to outright lie to their fans/customers. Not being honest and admitting they didn't have a live demo ready and were actually going to show pre-recorded video shows that they are just plain unprofessional.

Also, there is no way that footage was recorded from the Ivy hardware it was supposedly representing because if it was they would have been running both the recording software (Fraps?) and the game itself, which would have butchered performance, so obviously something more powerful than the Ivy Bridge hardware was used when recording that footage.

Now I know there is also a video showing the game on the hardware, but that doesn't clear Intel of the glorious ways in which they screwed up so badly here.

I have need for speed and want to know where you get the steering wheel? It isn't anything like driving with arrow keys.

Guest said:
It probably would have been better to simply acknowledge that they were playing a video from the the start and claim technical difficulties. Anything other than this awkwardness.

Totally agree. They could have said, we have some last minute footage to show of a race game running on our hardware...

+1 G1 & Mathew: Probably some marketing guy got ahead of himself totally ignoring the ethical side of this. Anyway, good to see that at least they were not misrepresenting anything.

sarcasm said:
Still waiting for the comment from the Intel sheep to come in justifying this.

Don't you hate it when you just want to go super troll on someone and nobody obliges?

Hahahahaha that was so stupid. LMFAO

Now really since Intel seems unable to develop a decent GPU even if they are a big company why the **** they don't just buy a company like Imagination Technologies with their PowerVR line of GPU's since Intel has such a big amount of cash buying that company would be as easy as that.
I don't see what they waiting for ? they might be calling themselves Intel but hell they are stupid as **** at taking business decisions.

Given how close Intel to everyone, it's almost like catching your girlfriend faking it... :) :) :)

It looked like the logitech g25 steering wheel, but I could be wrong. I have a g25 and it is a great wheel!

Guest said:
Hahahahaha that was so stupid. LMFAO

Now really since Intel seems unable to develop a decent GPU even if they are a big company why the **** they don't just buy a company like Imagination Technologies with their PowerVR line of GPU's since Intel has such a big amount of cash buying that company would be as easy as that.
I don't see what they waiting for ? they might be calling themselves Intel but hell they are stupid as **** at taking business decisions.
You do realize that their graphics are built into the CPU? AMD managed to add some decent video, but they made also a quad core with similar performance to a dual core.

They probably had to use AMD graphics to get it to look like a game rather then a series of still shots....everyone knows Intel could not design a graphics chip if their life depended on it.

It would take more time to record a video than to just load the game and play. This is fraud. I will NOT be buying an ultrabook from this first gen batch, thanks to this.

sarcasm said:
Still waiting for the comment from the Intel sheep to come in justifying this.

the company didn't misrepresent the capabilities of its hardware, and that's what's most important in our opinion. The company later explained that the F1 2011 demo was added to its presentation at the last minute and it simply didn't have time to prepare a live showing. Anandtech spoke with Intel during the event and shot genuinely live footage of an Ivy Bridge Ultrabook running F1 2011 in DX11 at 1366x768 with what appears to be medium/lowish settings.

Enhance.
the company didn't misrepresent the capabilities of its hardware, and that's what's most important in our opinion. The company later explained that the F1 2011 demo was added to its presentation at the last minute and it simply didn't have time to prepare a live showing.

Enhance!
the company didn't misrepresent the capabilities of its hardware, and that's what's most important in our opinion.

ENHANCE!
the company didn't misrepresent the capabilities of its hardware

I hope it has become clear to you why this is not a big deal. You can attribute it to Intel fanboys, but in reality it's no longer logical to be a fan of AMD desktop CPUs. There are no more Intel fanboys. There are blind AMD fanboys, and then there's everybody else who buys Intel processors.

no offense intended, .... but this!!

"I hope it has become clear to you why this is not a big deal. You can attribute it to Intel fanboys, but in reality it's no longer logical to be a fan of AMD desktop CPUs. There are no more Intel fanboys. There are blind AMD fanboys, and then there's everybody else who buys Intel processors."

numbers are numbers and intel cranks out WAAAAAYYY higher numbers, its pretty much petty bickering at this point. and until amd makes some amazing breakthrough in the way they do things ill be running all intel....

"AMD fanboy's"? I guess you guys have more money then sense. I mean, if you want to toss together a gaming rig on the cheap and still be able to upgrade it decently cheap... well screw logical reasoning, just look at the market shares. I guess your MUCH smarter than all those "fanboys". =P

Seriously... what games are you playing that require hardware that cost that much money? I play new games and all at high settings on a rig around 650$ for the box... why ... what... how much did you spend? Just not worth it if you have other hobbies... See! a good reason that doesn't require fanboy-ism!

(i like to spend money on other things then gaming rigs... like the GF)

I play new games and all at high settings on a rig around 650$ for the box... why ... what... how much did you spend? Just not worth it if you have other hobbies... See! a good reason that doesn't require fanboy-ism!

(i like to spend money on other things then gaming rigs... like the GF)

I feel bad for you

You can take that one of two ways, or both!

Back