Intel CEO says Broadwell will be ready in time for the holidays

Shawn Knight

Staff member

intel ceo broadwell pcs

Intel may have just released a refresher to Haswell but if it’s a true successor you’re looking for, you’ll need to hold off a bit longer for Broadwell. Intel’s next generation processor has been talked about among enthusiasts for years and now we have a solid idea of when exactly it’ll arrive.

During the Maker Faire in San Mateo, California, over the weekend, Intel CEO Brian Krzanich said Broadwell would be ready for the holidays. By that, he means that Intel will ship chips to OEMs in time to integrate them into their holiday lineup.

Unfortunately, the new processor will likely miss the back-to-school season near the end of summer. Parents sometimes purchase new computers for their children around this time which has provided a small bump in sales in the past.

Broadwell was originally expected to ship much sooner but last October, Intel revealed the chips were being pushed back until early 2014 as a result of production delays. As we approached the first quarter of this year, however, it became clear that we’d have to wait even longer for Broadwell. With no real competition, Intel is taking their time in getting the new chips to market.

The chip, a “Tick” in Intel’s “Tick-Tock” release philosophy, is highlighted by a die shrink of the current Haswell architecture. It’ll be the first CPU to be built using the 14nm manufacturing process which will deliver a wealth of improvements including better power efficiency and improved performance.

Permalink to story.

Easter Egg Hunt

Nehalem->Sandy->Ivy->Has->Broad. Who is Ivy and his Broad and why they need a Bridge over the Well? :)

I will be trying hard to hold out, but it's all going to be based on the (continuously slowing) development of Star Citizen.

Every new architecture seems to bring diminishing returns over the previous one... What is this going to be? 4-7% faster than Haswell?

I'm not upgrading until 20nm Maxwell 880 so probably Broadwell will be my choice, but if Nvidia is late I might be getting a Skylake.

Every new architecture seems to bring diminishing returns over the previous one... What is this going to be? 4-7% faster than Haswell?
I dare say it will be considerably more power efficient and generate less heat energy making ideal for Ultra Books and tablets.

Is Broadwell meant to replace Haswell or is it the next-gen for low powered processors. Like, are we gonna see i7-5440Ks?

I think that it is going to be for tablets, for running Windows, like Microsoft Surface.

I can't see me replacing Sandy in the next 5 Years.

Intel are probably more interested in the Tablet market, than helping you upgrade your clunky chunky old gaming PC.

upgrade your clunky chunky old gaming PC.
I said Sandy not AMD. You are describing the entire lineup of AMD CPU's, if you are calling my CPU clunky chunky. Sure the 2600K may not be the newest release, but none of the newer releases have offered much more. Oh that's right, you were talking about the tablet market for the tinker tot teens.

There must also be potential for using it in HTPCs.
Absolutely... it will be great in a lot of areas. After using a 15" gaming laptop with a 9 cell battery and then playing with an Haswell ultrabook, the portability, processing power and power consumption of the new generation chips just opens so many possibilities for light and powerful devices.

Looking forward to the next upgrade to the HTPC and to the next laptop! :)

I said Sandy not AMD. You are describing the entire lineup of AMD CPU's, if you are calling my CPU clunky chunky. Sure the 2600K may not be the newest release, but none of the newer releases have offered much more. Oh that's right, you were talking about the tablet market for the tinker tot teens.

Have I insulted your computer?

I'm personally more excited about Iris Pro graphics then Broadwell. The integrated graphics performance is such a beast, it might as well put the PS4 and Xbone in their graves.

At the same time I can't help but wonder how badly Intel is beating AMD, to the point where watts are more important to Intel then shear performance. That's how far behind AMD is compared to Intel. Intel needs good competition to keep their products improving. When Intel introduced their first i3/i5/i7's, they were so far ahead of AMD that improvements have been incremental since.

But hey yea fanless laptops or tablets. Exactly what I don't care about. If we could go back to laptops with sockets in them, that would be great. Otherwise my 6 and 4 year old laptops are doing great so far.

I can't see me replacing Sandy in the next 5 Years.

Intel are probably more interested in the Tablet market, than helping you upgrade your clunky chunky old gaming PC.
Last I heard the tablet market is dropping fast too. Once you have a tablet, why buy another one? I seriously can't find a good use for a ultra fast tablet. Best use for them is my mother plays stupid games like fruit ninja and hangman. Anyone who wants to go on the web uses the big clunky old HTPC that's hooked up to the TV.

I have no interest in hybrid laptops/tablets. I want a pure laptop that's significantly faster then my old one. But the PC market is failing because of tablets right? Well, I don't know about that. My 6 year old DV7 with a Intel Core2Duo P8600 @2.4Ghz is comparable to most $400 laptops. My 4 year old Compaq with an i3 @ 2.5Ghz is comparable to most $500 laptops. Both of my laptops have discrete GPU's that are comparable to modern laptops with integrated Intel graphics. So should I buy a new laptop just for the power savings? NOPE!

Person like myself is smart enough to look at benchmarks to come to my conclusions. Most people aren't, but older laptops are running at higher clock speeds, which is what most people look at when buying a new computer. Most $400 to $500 come with sub 2Ghz CPU's, which I find hilarious. That means most people are going to assume these machines are slower then their old ones. So why would anyone replace their working laptops?

PC industry has nothing to blame but themselves for putting sub par components in their machines. It amazes me that most laptops are still dual core, when most new cell phones are quad core.

Back