Intel Core 2 Duo Good Choice For Gaming System?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJediSlayer

I'm considering buying a Intel Core 2 Duo as a CPU for my new computer I'm planning on building. This computer will be a $1000+ dollar gaming computer. So, bottom line, this a good CPU or not?

Thanks in advance. Suggestions are welcome. = )

Edit: Also, I'd just like to also say that I'll be running general applications like Rhapsody, Firefox, etc. I heard someone say Quad-Core isn't a good choice unless you know your programs can use all four chips.

Tyler

Ref: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115036

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

Nice one :) I say good.

Core 2 Duo generally score higher on gaming than the Quadcore Q6600/6700, and are cheaper. How ever, I think for the same price you can pick up the 45nm Q9300 Quadcore and it does fairly well in gaming as well.

I wouldn't say the E8500 is worth the price gap it has on the E8400. Here it's $290 for the E8400 and roughly $500-600 for the 8500 - for a .16GHz difference. =S If that's the same where you are, the E8400 is an awesome CPU for the price.

I'd say look into the E8400 Dualcore or the Q9300 Quadcore - Duo does tend to handle most games better than the quad's, how ever in RTS games, the Quadcore run at higher FPS.

Yes the Core 2 Duo line is the best choice available right now for a gaming system.
BTW, why are you making separate threads about your CPU & motherboard and the build? It'd be much easier for you and everyone else to help if you stick to one thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back