Intel Core 2 Duo Good Choice For Gaming System?

By TheJediSlayer
May 31, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm considering buying a Intel Core 2 Duo as a CPU for my new computer I'm planning on building. This computer will be a $1000+ dollar gaming computer. So, bottom line, this a good CPU or not?

Thanks in advance. Suggestions are welcome. = )

Edit: Also, I'd just like to also say that I'll be running general applications like Rhapsody, Firefox, etc. I heard someone say Quad-Core isn't a good choice unless you know your programs can use all four chips.

Tyler

Ref: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115036
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

Nice one :) I say good.
  3. fullmetalvegan

fullmetalvegan TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 162

Core 2 Duo generally score higher on gaming than the Quadcore Q6600/6700, and are cheaper. How ever, I think for the same price you can pick up the 45nm Q9300 Quadcore and it does fairly well in gaming as well.

I wouldn't say the E8500 is worth the price gap it has on the E8400. Here it's $290 for the E8400 and roughly $500-600 for the 8500 - for a .16GHz difference. =S If that's the same where you are, the E8400 is an awesome CPU for the price.

I'd say look into the E8400 Dualcore or the Q9300 Quadcore - Duo does tend to handle most games better than the quad's, how ever in RTS games, the Quadcore run at higher FPS.
  4. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,280   +23

Yes the Core 2 Duo line is the best choice available right now for a gaming system.
    BTW, why are you making separate threads about your CPU & motherboard and the build? It'd be much easier for you and everyone else to help if you stick to one thread.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.