Intel Core i9 would target the high-end desktop market

Julio Franco

Staff member

From self-driving cars to memory products and server chips, Intel themselves have admitted their renewed focus will be on growing markets where they see a ton of untapped potential. However in a PC market where AMD is once again challenging Intel after many years, the company won't be letting go that easily.

We know for a fact Intel's eighth-generation Core CPUs will remain on the 14nm manufacturing node, and with Ryzen selling like hotcakes, we then heard the rumor that Skylake-X and Kaby Lake-X products along with their accompanying X299 chipset were expected to arrive ahead of schedule sometime around early June.

A new leak via Anandtech forums brings more goodies. Code-named Basin Falls, the new quad-core Kaby Lake-X CPUs would get the Core i7 branding, while hexa, octa, 10, and 12-core Skylake-X CPUs would receive the Core i9 moniker. The table below shows what Intel would announce in time for Computex later this month:

Name Cores/
Threads
L3 Cache
(MB)
Base clock/
Turbo (GHz)
PCIe Lanes Memory TDP Launch

i9-7920X
(Skylake-X)

12/24 16.5 TBA 44 4 x DDR4-2666 140W
or 160W
August 2017

i9-7900X
(Skylake-X)

10/20 13.75

3.3 /
4.3 (Turbo 2.0) /
4.5 (Turbo 3.0)

44 4 x DDR4-2666 140W June 2017

i9-7820X
(Skylake-X)

8/16 11

4.3 / 4.5 (Turbo 2.0)

28 4 x DDR4-2666 140W June 2017

i9-7800X
(Skylake-X)

6/12 8.25

3.5 / 4.0 (Turbo 2.0)

28 4 x DDR4-2666 140W June 2017

i7-7740K
(Kaby Lake-X)

4/8 8

4.3 / 4.5 (Turbo 2.0)

16 2 x DDR4-2666 112W June 2017

i7-7640K
(Kaby Lake-X)

4/4 6

4.0 / 4.2 (Turbo 2.0)

16 2 x DDR4-2666 112W June 2017

Core count matters apparently, just ask AMD who is rumored to be coming up with a 16 core chip soon. However i9 chips are said to feature a third clock state called Turbo Clock 3.0, which would allow for even higher clocks in single threaded tasks.

The most potent of Intel upcoming chips, the Core i9-7920X appears to be a Core i7 on steroids offering 12 cores (24 threads), 16.5MB of onboard L3 cache and a toasty 140W TDP (a second leak says 160W).

Now, if Intel intends to keep its high-end CPU pricing scheme of $1,000 or above that, this is bound to be an impractical flagship with others actually competing on the mainstream market against Ryzen. We'll find out soon.

Permalink to story.

i7-7640K 4/4 core looks like just another i5
i7S have basically just been marketing since the 4000 series. They use to have a lot of instruction sets used in workstation and virtualization applications but the 3000 series was the last to include those. What I don't get is why take hyperthreading out of an i7 especially with AMD stepping their game up recently.

Unless these were in development before Intel saw rizen as a threat this move makes absolutely no sense. They're taking features out of the i7, putting them in the i9 and pricing them higher. You aren't apple, intel, you cant sell products simply because your intel.

Yeah I wonder how much these chips will cost. Will we all have to sell our kidneys to buy them? LOL

Core i9 is Core i7 Extreme with no 6/8 core SKUs with more than 28 lanes... Nothing to see here, keep moving everyone.

Makes me wonder if Intel is even trying here. The more and more I think about it the more I think going Ryzen in a few weeks is the best decision to make. It's got way more future possibility than anything Intel is coming out with.

Core i9!? I bet that's just a strategy, like...

"Sir, the new Ryzen CPUs are just too awsome, we're gonna lose some market share unless we do something quick."

"I know, our next relese shall be called i9, although it's just another i7, but I least we give the impression of a tchnology leap with that."

"Sir, you are awesome, how do you do it?"

i7-7640K 4/4 core looks like just another i5
i7S have basically just been marketing since the 4000 series. They use to have a lot of instruction sets used in workstation and virtualization applications but the 3000 series was the last to include those. What I don't get is why take hyperthreading out of an i7 especially with AMD stepping their game up recently.

Unless these were in development before Intel saw rizen as a threat this move makes absolutely no sense. They're taking features out of the i7, putting them in the i9 and pricing them higher. You aren't apple, intel, you cant sell products simply because your intel.

They don't have any reason to take the HyperThreading out of that i7 other than to make sure they sell products higher up in the stack. Intel is just exploding it's own naming culture.

Well that came out of nowhere!
I've used the Core i9 tag to make fun of showboaters on here but now Intel really plan to use the name?
Looks like the Ryzen launch pushed some buttons.

Seems like a bit of a rebrand for an overclock. Definitely would rather wait and see what the 12nm parts perform like before buying any of this stuff.

Still, I wonder how much that quad core i7 will cost, could be a great gaming chip if it costs around the same as a 7600k. But that's not likely with Intel really is it!

Seems like a bit of a rebrand for an overclock. Definitely would rather wait and see what the 12nm parts perform like before buying any of this stuff.

Still, I wonder how much that quad core i7 will cost, could be a great gaming chip if it costs around the same as a 7600k. But that's not likely with Intel really is it!

Whats wrong with 7600K? How much improvement you expect, 10%? Is there or is it gonna be the game in the next few years where 7600K is not enough? CPU`s are fast enough, we need them cheaper not faster.

7820 with 28 lanes is a HUGE mistake--that means in a semi competitive situation Intel is making someone who needs 44 lanes to buy the 7900 at probably over $1000, not going to happen with me, I've had it with ridiculously priced cpus that bring a little extra in general performance

Ryzen will dominate for quite a while because of the price /performance ratio . Doesn't matter what Intel comes out with UNLESS it's a good value.

If a product is not affordable to the largest amount of people you will lose . Sure , certain groups will pay outlandish prices for certain things but the overwhelming majority of people will not .

Yeah, pretty much. Unless you're into the sort of thing where you like Intel raping your wallet.

Yeah sure... $800 for just the processor. Dafuq?

Agreed. It's pretty amazing that Ryzen came out of nowhere and gets the performance it does considering that nearly everything is optimized for Intel architecture.

Also are Intel rushing these out now that Amd has shown them they mean business so will they just work or will they have manufacturing problems due to rushing them out. AMD really has put the cat among the pigeons with Ryzen so will be interesting to see what transpires from here in.

Back