Intel desktop 6-Core vs. Xeon 6-cores - Differences? Pros or cons for either?

By Savage1701
Aug 3, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Considering an upgrade. If I go with enthusiast board it will be 1366 6-Core Extreme CPU, even though I would not have much interest in overclocking. If I go server board, it will be a Supermicro dual-Xeon server board that can handle the 6-core Xeons as a pair. Ouch on the price!

Obviously, as far as the Xeons go, there won't be any overclocking, even for a few quick tests and such.

In either case I will be running Win 7 Pro 64-bit as the OS, and the systems will be liquid cooled. I have the appropriate water cooling equipment, PSU's, ATX/E-ATX cases, etc.

Any explicit advantage to either chip? I'm not an overclocker, but I do want speed at stock ratings. Are the Xeons just more heavily validated and tested?

I have not ventured into the world of server boards a lot, but those I have used from Supermicro I really like since they allow so much greater control, such as BIOS-level remote desktop, etc.
  2. EBelcourt

EBelcourt Newcomer, in training

Xeon processors function better with multi threaded data handling like in a server side to deal with multiple access/data requests. I would stick with a desktop six core as getting a xeon processor would be impractical and you wouldn't be able to get the full potential out of it unless you want to turn your computer into a server, ha ha.
  3. Savage1701

Savage1701 TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 279

My only thought was using the Xeons in more of a workstation environment, where I might want to be transcoding video, working with Office apps, other apps, etc. that could take advantage of 12 physical and 12 HT cores.

It would not be in a high-transactional server environment such as a web server, email server, etc., more for a workstation I can't practically bog down.
  4. EBelcourt

Then if you're only using it in that environment, a Xeon hex core would be an expensive investment in something that wouldn't be taking full advantage of them. A desktop hex core would be perfectly fine in the environment you're using it in. In addition, the software you've listed off there wouldn't take up more than 3 physical cores for it's processing, i myself would stick with a desktop hex core :)

E

P.s. Even Super high performance games (i.e. supreme commander 1 & 2) wouldn't be taking more than 3 cores in todays standard.
  5. Savage1701

Savage1701 TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 279

I appreciate the advice. Thank you.
  6. EBelcourt

No problem =]

As a note for the most reasonable xeon hex core, you can pick up an Intel i7 hex core extreme edition for a similar price and the motherboards are a lot cheaper too.

E
  7. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,034   +70

Or for a bit less money the non-extreme version of i7 (I think its 970) would be sufficient.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.