Intel given green light to build $4 billion 14nm chip plant in Ireland

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Intel has been itching to start construction on a new chip plant in Ireland to build future 14-nanometer microprocessors for some time but before anything could be done, they needed final approval from officials in the region to do so. Fortunately for Intel, the lead planning agency in Ireland has given the $4 billion project the green light to move forward.

As we understand it, Intel confirmed plans for the Ireland plant in May of 2012 and the Kildare County Council approved plans for the facility back in August 2012. Intel was ultimately met with an appeal from An Bord Pleanála, Ireland’s lead planning agency, which delayed construction. Intel received word just a week ago that the agency had given them the final go-ahead, albeit with a few updated conditions.

The Leixlip plant will be one of three global sites used to produce Intel’s next generation 14-nanometer chips; the other two locations are in Arizona and Oregon. It will be built alongside existing infrastructure and buildings at Intel’s manufacturing complex and will consist of 244,819 square meters of floor area.

It is expected to take some 3,500 construction workers roughly two years to finish the build. Once complete, Intel plans to hire roughly 800 full-time employees to handle day-to-day operations. The chip maker ultimately plans to shift gears from 14-nanometer to 10nm, 7nm and even 5nm in accordance with Moore’s Law. The latter, of course, isn’t expected to happen until sometime after 2015.

Permalink to story.

Why Ireland? Why can't we have something something like this in South Africa? Oh yes I forgot about about the dimwitted, corrupt, self righteous, bigamist (those are their strong points) government we have.

If you were set on criticizing your government, you picked the least appropriate place to do it, IMO. Africa is not exactly the pinnacle of computing, so why place a factory there ? When all is said and done, the transportation costs alone would probably offset the lower land prices in a few years.

I'm sure the ramifications of picking Ireland have been well studied. You can supply the whole of Europe and Russia by land transportation and you're one plane away from the coast of US of A, where land transportation can take over once again, to cover the whole continent.

Naturally you're right but I couldn't help having a dig at my government. It's the only thing that I find funny in these depressing times we live.

That's like 1-hour driving from where I live (Bray). Not that I have any objection, but the traffic is already quite bad here even at 7am.

Why Ireland? Why can't we have something something like this in South Africa? Oh yes I forgot about about the dimwitted, corrupt, self righteous, bigamist (those are their strong points) government we have.

I know what you mean I believe America is more corrupt though. We have fluoride in our water. And federally fund GE for sending jobs to china, while leaving small businesses to suffer....I could go on and on but I digress

If you were set on criticizing your government, you picked the least appropriate place to do it, IMO. Africa is not exactly the pinnacle of computing, so why place a factory there ? When all is said and done, the transportation costs alone would probably offset the lower land prices in a few years.

I'm sure the ramifications of picking Ireland have been well studied. You can supply the whole of Europe and Russia by land transportation and you're one plane away from the coast of US of A, where land transportation can take over once again, to cover the whole continent.

Also to add Ireland gives massive Tax breaks as well, so its also cheaper in the long run for them compared to moving 5 feet to the right to the UK where they will be taxed the living crap out of.

Also to add Ireland gives massive Tax breaks as well, so its also cheaper in the long run for them compared to moving 5 feet to the right to the UK where they will be taxed the living crap out of.
Oh Burty, you live in the "UK", and you should know that Ireland is part of it!

What I'm sure you meant to say is, "if they moved 5 feet to the right, they'd be in England and there would have the crap taxed out of them". (That's a loose "quote", so forgive me for the "colonial" syntax).

BTW, in other news around and about the UK, there are many secessionists in Scotland. So, if you're ever in downtown Edinburgh and happen to see a bunch of people with their faces painted blue, run like hell!

(It seems they think their economy is solvent of its own right. The nerve of some people, I know).

And now, selected excerpts from the writings of George Harrison........:

"Let me tell you how it will be, there's one for you nineteen for me"

"Should five percent appear too small, be thankful I don't take it all".

""Cause I'm the taxman, oh, oh, I'm the taxman, and you're working for no one but me"! :D

You say why ireland why because intel plant is already there and there just extending it plus we speak english one plane away from usa and europe and yes our corporate tax is very low

Only the Northern part.
County Kildare is Republic of Ireland.
Fairly large distinction for the locals.
OK, so now you want social satire checked for 100% factual accuracy?

Remember our slogan here at "Cranky Publications". "We fail to check our facts the first time, forget to check our facts a second time, and simply don't bother to check our facts the third time".

But you just wait 'til England has a king again, the geopolitical boundaries could all change in a puff of teargas.

Sing with me, "And did those feet, in ancient times, walk upon England's mountains green".....[ ]....
"Bring me my bow, of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire"....."Blah, blah, bla blah".......

While you're at it, see if you can dig up this song by the Strawbs, "The Hangman & the Papist".

(It's about two brothers separated at birth. One is raised protestant, the other catholic, this leads to a big finish....:eek: )

Never mind Youtube came through
Those were the days, when men were men, while wearing girly hair, guitars had 12 strings, and all the songs were melodic, but very ANGRY:mad: !!

Remember our slogan here at "Cranky Publications". "We fail to check our facts the first time, forget to check our facts a second time, and simply don't bother to check our facts the third time".
Be careful captain, if Fox News hears you've appropriated their mission statement, there could be legal repercussions
But you just wait 'til England has a king again, the geopolitical boundaries could all change in a puff of teargas.
If its bonnie prince Charlie (Charles III/George VII), then he'd probably grant autonomy to any group that promised to revert to an agrarian lifestyle and adopt finger painting as their national sport, and if its William, he'll likely be too busy trying to secure a reality tv series deal to bother about annexation....and I'm not entirely sure whether Harry actually knows what a geopolitical boundary is, if the line of succession gets that far.

If its bonnie prince Charlie (Charles III/Edward VII), then he'd probably grant autonomy to any group that promised to revert to an agrarian lifestyle and adopt finger painting as their national sport, and if its William, he'll likely be too busy trying to secure a reality tv series deal to bother about annexation....and I'm not entirely sure whether Harry actually knows what a geopolitical boundary is, if the line of succession gets that far.
Yeah well, Harry's a helicopter gunner. British kings have been given names like, "The Lion Hearted", for a whole lot less. I bet he could kill everybody in Waterford in a single strafing run, without so much as breaking a glass!

All of that notwithstanding, I don't see where any of it should prevent us from singing, "Jerusalem".

Oh Burty, you live in the "UK", and you should know that Ireland is part of it!

What I'm sure you meant to say is, "if they moved 5 feet to the right, they'd be in England and there would have the crap taxed out of them". (That's a loose "quote", so forgive me for the "colonial" syntax).

BTW, in other news around and about the UK, there are many secessionists in Scotland. So, if you're ever in downtown Edinburgh and happen to see a bunch of people with their faces painted blue, run like hell!

(It seems they think their economy is solvent of its own right. The nerve of some people, I know).

And now, selected excerpts from the writings of George Harrison........:

"Let me tell you how it will be, there's one for you nineteen for me"

"Should five percent appear too small, be thankful I don't take it all".

""Cause I'm the taxman, oh, oh, I'm the taxman, and you're working for no one but me"! :D

I Hit reply, but then read Chef's Comment, he said it for me :)

I Hit reply, but then read Chef's Comment, he said it for me :)
Just think of my posts as "Op-Ed satire". If you read the post, the only incorrect information is, "where is Ireland". OK, so that's a major faux pas. But still, the George Harrison quote is word for word! (Unless, he didn't write "Taxman". I didn't fact check that either).

Just consider all the facts I did get correct. Many people in Scotland want to secede from the UK.

Scotsmen paint themselves blue when they're pissed off!

(I don't live in a cave you know, I've seen "Braveheart"! Who knows, maybe it's just Australians who paint themselves blue when they're pissed off, and blame it on the Scots. I didn't fact check that either).

Bonny Prince Harry IS a gunner in an attack helicopter.

The British are notorious for seizing land and forming colonies. I know, I live in one of them.

As for whether Ireland will be considered for colonization under a future British monarch, we'll have to wait and see...;)

Now can we all sing, "Jerusalem".....? We could do Eric Idle's version, and he looks sort of like George Harrison.

(Couldn't find Mr. Idle's version). This will have to tide us over:

And because you were bemoaning British tax rates, here's a bonus video :

And NO, this isn't "Rick Rolling"! Think of these videos as, "musical cues", from a comedy movie.:)

Weird how you guys are complaining about this and that with land rights, I think it is a good move on Intels part to do this, earlier poster said that they would cover Europe and Russia by land and the rest of the world by air...I just like the fact that for once I will have something in a computer that isn't made in china...

Weird how you guys are complaining about this and that with land rights, I think it is a good move on Intels part to do this, earlier poster said that they would cover Europe and Russia by land and the rest of the world by air...I just like the fact that for once I will have something in a computer that isn't made in china...
Oh, I'm not complaining, I'm making sport of it....;)

Back