TechSpot

Intel "Haswell" CPUs to arrive June 3

By Rick
Apr 29, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. On Friday Intel announced that Haswell, its next-generation of Core processors, would arrive in about 3.33 quadrillion nanoseconds. In less esoteric terms, that means Haswell is slated to arrive on June 3 in the U.S. -- around the same date...

Read more

2. TechGamer

TechGamer TS Booster Posts: 424   +38

I dont see like an major difference from ivy bridge and haswell that makes me potentialy think of an upgrade maybe next year or the after as my i5-3570k will hold abit longer

3. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,082   +920

Haswell was supposed to be a Tock in the cycle. It was supposed to be like Gulf town to Sandy Bridge. It is like that on the mobile side, but not on the desktop side.

4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,423   +822

Lower power consumption is always a good thing for starters. I'll 'inherit' a new K series chip when they get released.

5. The USB issue is a chipset problem, not the CPU.

6. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,055   +970

I think that's rather sporting of Intel, to release the new line on the same day the old timers get their Social Security checks.

TechGamer, JC713 and spydercanopus like this.
  7. windmill007

windmill007 TS Rookie Posts: 311

I have a i7-2600k @ 4.6ghz. I didn't see any reason to upgrade to 3rd gen or this 4th gen. I thought they are suppose to have a jump ever other gen. Think I will be good for many years now. Maybe that's why pc sales have slumped. Their is really no big jump in performance the last few years.

8. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

I'll be putting off my next ultrabook purchase until then. 3rd gen performance is extremely impressive, but better is good.

9. veLa

veLa TS Booster Posts: 533   +88

This won't stop me from going with AMD.

10. Gopal Bhat

Gopal Bhat TS Rookie Posts: 43   +7

I'm impatiently waiting for Haswell laptops to be released.

11. JC713

I cant wait for the i5 4670K.

12. EEatGDL

EEatGDL TS Booster Posts: 305   +51

I'm planning to upgrade from C2D to Haswell at the end of June, a friend is telling me to wait for Broadwell, but I just can't wait indefinitely for an each time better generation.

13. JC713

The rumor is that Broadwell will be the first consumer chipset to support DDR4. If you game, upgrade, if you dont game, wait. DDR3 will be outdated very quickly after Haswell. It is like how Core 2 Quads were the tech of the year, but were outdated a few years later because of the DDR2.

14. Glycerin

Glycerin TS Member

I recently got myself a 2600K :) What a jump from a Q6600.

Arris likes this.
  15. Glycerin

Glycerin TS Member

Um C2Q were never used with DDR, and later motherboards were made for C2Q and DDR3.

16. JC713

2600K was so 2011! (joke).

17. JC713

Um, every CPU uses DDR?

18. dennis777

dennis777 TS Enthusiast Posts: 281   +32

Is it possible that its price is lower than ivybridge? :S

19. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,969   +738

JC713
    Even the addition of DDR4 isn't going to be a major performance multiplier. DDR4 is voltage specced close to LoVo DDR3 now (1.2v vs. 1.25-1.35v), and there is certainly an overlap in bandwidth with DDR3-2400 to -2800 now in the marketplace compared with DDR4's starting point at 2133.
    Probably depends on what Intel's take on the technology is- although being Intel, I'd err on the conservative side.
    Personally I'd like more of a heads-up regarding whether Intel is definitely pursuing DDR4 eDRAM/stacked memory before committing to a wait for Broadwell or Skylake.

On the Haswell front, unless your afflicted with OCD or Benchmarkitis I wouldn't think an upgrade from Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge is going to net any tangible benefit for the majority of users
    [​IMG]

Latest leaked price list >> here <<

JC713 likes this.
  20. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,184   +177

Should be a good chip. I wish they didn't waste good die space on their onboard graphics or at least gave options for ones without it.

21. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,406   +1,594

22. JC713

Well, we have to face the truth. The desktop is dying, and so is the business :(. Intel hovers to what makes money.

23. JC713

I guess I just didnt understand. Sorry person who I quoted lol.

24. Seventh Reign

Seventh Reign TS Rookie Posts: 99   +39

Haswell is a 13-15% improvement over Ivybridge which was roughly a 10% improvement over SandyBridge ... 23-25% while using far less power is pretty significant.

25. LukeDJ

LukeDJ TS Addict Posts: 414   +112

Actually, that equals a 24.3-26.5% jump over Sandy Bridge, so even better!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.