Intel: Ivy Bridge GPU to support 4K resolutions

By Shawn Knight
Sep 20, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Intel quietly announced at IDF this past week that Ivy Bridge will support 4K video resolutions using the integrated GPU. Intel broke the news in one of their side technical…

Read the whole story
  2. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,264   +41

oh snap, intel trolling again.
  3. mevans336

mevans336 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 163   +11

If displays that support over 2560 x 1600 are extremely rare and expensive, why is Intel making a big deal over being able to support 4Kx4K? Dual 2560 x 1600 displays?
  4. @mev - most multi monitor setups can hit this pretty quickly.
  5. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

I suppose its like car manufacturers bragging about top speed. Few people are going to take a Ferrari above 200 mph (and live to tell the tale) but still, it has that capacity.
  6. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 804   +201

I run a U3011, came from a 120hz 23" Acer.
    Superior for everything, especially gaming but it does take decent power to game at 2560 X 1600.\\

I can't imagine 4K by 4K, my 570 would crap its pants.
  7. negroplasty

negroplasty TechSpot Maniac Posts: 535   +12

8. Cota

Cota TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 521   +8

Nice example but you missed a point, them saying that it supports a 4Kx4K its like a "benchmark" since its the "top" resolution it can handle (and what about framerate/bitrate? :facepawns:), the more power the Ivy can get, the more easily it will take lower resolution videos.

Its like using a last Generation CPU to encode a video or compressing some files, it will do the work extremely well, but it wont be using to the 100%
  9. You guys look at it from the wrong perspective. It is the creation of such graphics that enables monitor manufacturers to go ahead and try create a monitor with such resolution.

Without such cards existing no monitor manufacturer would attempt a 4K resolution, because there would be no point. It is the way of the progress in the computer graphics, and not the other way round.
  10. Siavash

Siavash TechSpot Member Posts: 47   +12

Just to make it clear, don't confuse the maximum desktop resolution (2560x1600) with maximum texture resolution (4096x4096). 4096x4096 is the maxmium texture size supported by GPU to be used in games for diffuse/bump/normal/height/specaular/shadow ... maps.

Doesn't Low/High quality texture options in game settings menu ring some bells? Lower and Higher texture resolution results in blurry textured models (like old Doom/Unreal games) and sharp textured models in new games (like Crysis, ...)

And as a side note, your brand new GPU already supports texture resolutions up to 8192x8192 and higher.
  11. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,784   +639

For all the talk here about "gaming", Intel are talking about video playback.

12. soliozuz

soliozuz Newcomer, in training

Nice analogy, very on point :D
  13. DSP8000

DSP8000 Newcomer, in training

Wow, something tells me that Ateme might be involved in the AVC hardware encoding/decoding part on this CPU. If that is the case, then this would be quite good. I can just see the new "refresh" on the "late" 2011 iMac's featuring the latest Intel Ivy Bridge. Probably the same will happen as with the Z68 chipset. Apple got a slice of it first, before we even knew about it. it is called BAU.
  14. SammyJames

SammyJames TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 168

Maybe this has more to do with CPU flexibility than anything. If the GPU can handle such a workload, then this probably frees the rest of the processor to do other tasks.

Am I missing something?
  15. dikbozo

dikbozo TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 106

This support for 4K by 3K res is actually something that can be claimed without the requirement to show it. BTW no current video is shot or edited in 4095 by 4096. All video resolutions are near either 4:3 or 16:9 ration, never 1:1. This link at Wikipedia show 4Kstandards:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution
  16. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TechSpot Guru Posts: 802   +87

That's what Intel video has to brag about? Get off my CPU, you dirty Intel graphics.
  17. +1

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.