Intel: Mainstream USB 3.0 adoption is years away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

While the USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF) may have certified over 50 USB 3.0 products, Intel believes it will be a couple of years before the new standard replaces its predecessor. At CeBIT, the chipmaker revealed that it is working with Microsoft on USB 3.0 integration for Windows 8, which is expected to ship in 2012. Until then, Intel believes SuperSpeed USB support will only appear in high-end machines.

Intel's plans line up with a study released by In-Stat last year. The firm said USB 3.0 would see widespread adoption by 2012, at which point 70% of external hard drives would use the new spec and around 200 million USB 3.0 flash drives would ship by 2013.

Without integrated support from Intel, hardware manufacturers will have to continue purchasing USB 3.0 host controller chips from NEC, or produce their own. Although Windows 8 is still years away, rumors suggest Windows 7 SP1 will bring native support. If true, OEMs might warm up to the technology, which could boost adoption rates.

Permalink to story.

awww man thats such a shame that it wont be adopted into mainstream until 2012 the worlds gonna end that year :[

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?! are you for serious? I was looking forward to some super fast transfers... god i'm a dork..

fly_guy said:
awww man thats such a shame that it wont be adopted into mainstream until 2012 the worlds gonna end that year :[
They just mentioned the date for widespread use, not the release of USB 3.0 products. Although you'd be having trouble with other USB versions, but not your own if you completely convert.

New technology like this always takes ages to get into mainstream because the majority of people are happy with USB 2.0. I know i wouldn't pay a premium for something that would only boost transfer speed.

flukeh said: I know i wouldn't pay a premium for something that would only boost transfer speed.

Yeah, that's really the case here. I can't imagine anything that I use via USB that I would pay extra money for a faster transfer speed.

Hay everyone, there are PCI cards that will have usb 3.0, its all good, but it is a bummer that intel is takeing a long time with it.

Tekkaraiden said:
Isn't Intel developing their own highspeed connection?

yes they are, i think what you are referring to is lightpeak. From what i've heard it looks really good. A universal 10GBps starting speed with higher potentials would make all other connections obsolete at this point in time.

fly_guy said:

Windows 8 in 2012... that IS the end of the world.

But seriously, i just don't understand why everyone is taking so long to adopt usb 3.0 in a mainstream kind of way. It is a very much needed upgrade to whole way we do personal computing. Along with waiting for 3.0 adoption I just can't wait for the next generation of mp3 players to adopt 3.0 as well. Imagine the transfer speeds...

Intel is trying to dictate what type of connecton and when it will implement, by 2012 lightpeak might be here to be the new preferred connection and intel will add superspeed for legacy porposes..

If Intel would cave and integrate some support for the standard, adoption would be much more widespread. But hey, can't support the competition to their own new interface, now can they? I mean, it's not like USB is an industry standard that is put through committees and tweaked until there is an industry-wide consensus for easy adoptio.... heeeeey, wait a minute!

Hahaha..I wonder how many people will be forced to purchase yet another upgrade from Microsoft, just because they want this one solitary feature?

Linux users will be sitting happy :)

On another note, the first 3rd party that could somehow produce an XP/Vista/7 USB3 solution would be rolling in gravy...

Technology moves very fast, it`s very hard to keep the same pace between business practice and tech evoolution.

This is where monopolys hurt, if there were more chipmakers, at least one of them would adopt new standards early.

New technology always takes time to be mainstream, but those who want to take part in the new 3.0 will be able to do so by summer time this year. I know I'll be picking up a new flash drive once they are out.

aww! it means we have to wait for 4 years! and btw world gonna end on 2012!lol
so it doesnt matter if they release or don't!
on the serious note - i think they should launch it asap so that tech savvy people ( like me) can enjoy its features!

Talk about usb 3.0 has been going on for so long, and still nothing to show for it. Seems like vapourware talk up to now.

USB 3.0 is available currently, both onboard and through PCI adapters, so no need to dispair. For people seeking the fastest builds, it's already an option. As prices continue to drop it'll work its way into mainstream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back