Intel, Nokia partner to create MeeGo mobile platform

By Matthew
Feb 15, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. What do you get when the world's largest chipmaker and cell phone manufacturer shake hands? A peculiarly named operating system that can power virtually any mobile device. Intel and Nokia have agreed to merge their mobile operating systems, Moblin and Maemo, to forge a new software platform called MeeGo.

Read the whole story
  2. Clrabbit

Clrabbit Newcomer, in training Posts: 90

You know.... I don't care how good it is with a Name like MeeGo I refuse to use it. That is the lamest name for a OS yet...
  3. Regenweald

Regenweald Newcomer, in training Posts: 143

This is exciting news to me and I hope that the Moblin/Maemo hybrid really takes off, although I'm confused as to whether the Clutter toolkit is being abandoned for QT or if it will somehow be integrated. I also hope Intel won't restrict MeeGo to it's own x86 mobile platform as it did with Moblin and contributes to another powerhouse for the ARM platform. Great news.
  4. emzdhr

emzdhr Newcomer, in training

Android rules.
  5. @ regenweald
    MeeGo will support clutter, but I think the main development framework will be Qt.*
    It will also be available on both ARM and Intel architectures.*

As a user of Maemo 5 on the N900, I think that MeeGo has a lot of potential. Intel and Nokia can take advantage of the best parts of both platforms as well as the large, active communities.
    Something I hope either Intel and Nokia, or the community do is make MeeGo available for the N900. I only recently bought mine and I won't be buying another expensive device any time soon.

I don't think MeeGo will really compete with other mobile operating systems because it's based around bringing a desktop experience to a pocketable device, with an optimised user interface and phone functionality. Other powerful smartphone devices are mainly phones with some computer functionality. Instead, I think MeeGo will fill the gap between netbooks and smartphones.

*http://meego.com/about/faq
  6. Punkid

Punkid TechSpot Maniac Posts: 543

two of the greatest partnering up
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.