Intel Patsburg (X68) info for LGA2011 CPUs

dividebyzero

Since there doesn't seem to be a great deal of concrete information around on the X58/LGA1366 successor, I thought I'd repost this from VR-Zone.

X68 is supposedly looking at a three year lifecycle -around the same lifespan as the chipset it is replacing:
fujitsu_patsburg.png

Note that the chipset is called Romley - this is the server version for the LGA2011 socket as opposed to the desktop part.
Salient details are:
-Quad channel memory DDR3-1333 (8 DIMMS, 256Gb max). Desktop parts are expected to conform to quad-channel DDR3-1600/4DIMM presumeably 4x8Gb max.
Lane assignments:
2 x PCI-Ex16 Gen 3.0 @ 1 @16 x or 2@8x
1 x PCI-Ex16 Gen 3.0 @ 4x
+ 8 PCI-E 2.0 lanes split between PCI/PCI-E x1 and I/O (14 x USB2.0, 4 x SATA 3Gb, 2 x SATA 6Gb, ONFi, GbLAN and HD Audio)
The main difference between LGA2011 and LGA1155 are obviously the quad channel memory (as opposed to dual channel) and the use of PCI-E 3.0 spec over 2.0 in LGA1155. Effectively double the bandwidth (97% greater)

Servers will exchange the four lane DMI PCIe 2.0 interface for PCIe 3.0 spec. SATA 6Gb increased to 4 or 8 ports and SAS 6Gb compatible. PCI-E lanes increased from 24 to 40 -Utilised as: 2 x PCIe x16 3.0 (@ x16), 1 x PCIe x16 3.0 (@ x4), 1 x PCIe x8 3.0 (@ x4) in the Fujitsu board outlined, in addition to 1 x PCIe x16 2.0 (@x4) and 2 x PCI

TDP for desktop parts is <80 - 130w, and <80 to 150w for server (Xeon).
And some fuzzed out shots of an MSI board showing the DIMM configuration of two either side of the socket

PCIE 3.0 power delivery specs are still 150/300w....this may be a problem for the big 2. well one of them anyway.:D

So we could be looking at a launch in around Christmas? Sounds like I might be writing my list a little early. :D

So we could be looking at a launch in around Christmas? Sounds like I might be writing my list a little early. :D

Hey why not Dokk. Register at Newegg.com, and then have a "if you don't bring a gift, It means you don't love me party" :D

I have people that love me, but I don't think their love is 'three hundred dollar motherboard and CPU's' 'love.' :p

Hey why not Dokk. Register at Newegg.com, and then have a "if you don't bring a gift, It means you don't love me party" :D
Is that what uber geeks are doing nowadays, making Newegg the site of their bridal registry?
:haha: yeah....me as well...more like case fan love.:haha:
Christmas morning at the family red; "here you go....DEAR.....a new case fan for the "contraption"......I don't believe how much I spent on this! It's sleeve bearing, is that good?

Go Patsburg....! (required)

Is that what uber geeks are doing nowadays, making Newegg the site of their bridal registry?

With people throwing birthday parties for their dogs, I would not be surprised.

Christmas morning at the family red; "here you go....DEAR.....a new case fan for the "contraption"......I don't believe how much I spent on this! It's sleeve bearing, is that good?

:haha: Once in a while she will look something up on it. She always gives it a look as if to say..."you be nice to me...I will be nice to you."

Back