Intel prepping 3.2GHz six-core i7-970 for Q3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

It's no secret that Intel is working on a six-core processor, one of which is the Core i7-980X Extreme Edition processor detailed months ago. Another, according to Fudzilla, will hit shelves as the Core i7-970 and should be more affordable.

The i7-980X uses 32nm fabrication tech, features Hyper-Threading and Turbo Boost, is being crafted for the X58 platform, and supposedly operates at 3.33GHz. Meanwhile, the i7-970 doesn't bear the Extreme Edition branding, and Fudzilla says it has a clock speed of 3.2GHz. It also features Hyper-Threading, Turbo Boost, a 6.4GB/s QPI, supports 1066MHz DDR3 memory, and has a TDP of 130W.

Rumors suggest the i7-980X will launch sometime next month and Intel will wait until the third quarter before releasing the i7-970. Other speculation indicates that Intel will introduce quicker Lynnfield and Clarkdale processors in the second quarter as well, including a 3.06GHz i7-880, a 3.6GHz i5-680, and a 3.2GHz i3-550.

Permalink to story.

Love the speed, but there aren't but a handful of software apps that take advantage of quad-core. Until applications get caught up with multi-core technology, not sure what point it makes to buy one of these six-core processors.

^^ it's so people can have bragging rights^^
It's the same as the i7 any gamer that has one has it so he can brag about how much money he\she like's to waste.

Suppose I could buy one and then not upgrade for the next 5-10 years. When is that ever going to be slow ? ;)

nice speeds, but even the mainstream market hasn't really adopted the original i7 chips yet...

the i7 9's were never for the normal user. Its only meant for probably the community gridders and ppl in freelancing who cant go for servers.

Well looks like Intel will be scamming people with the Extreme Edition again with the i7 920 and i7 975 i bought the 920 and have it at 4.0ghz blowing the $1000 chip away and spent 1/3 the price. Might as well get the cheaper one and with a simple overclock blow the expensive waste of money away. No need for this upgrade anytime soon as Windows 7 already sees my 920 as 8 cores in task manager and 99% of applications barely can hit all 4 cores makes the 6 core chips more server based than anything.

Video encoding... lots of people do that now, right? I mean everyone has Handbrake installed these days...

......Excel, Cakewalk/Sonar , DivX /Virtual Dub, XviD, Auto GK/MVK, Photoshop, Premiere Pro, TMPGEnc Xpress, Lame, POV-Ray and AutoCAD.

For most applications outside of those optimized for both core frequency and threadcount then 4GHz is also a waste of time and energy. Most applications don't see viable return past 3.6GHz and gaming tends not to benefit from a CPU much past 2.8-3GHz.
Pretty pointless gunning for 200 fps from your measly 170fps default when using a 60Hz refresh rate monitor IMO.

dividebyzero said:
Pretty pointless gunning for 200 fps from your measly 170fps default when using a 60Hz refresh rate monitor IMO.
There are 120Hz LCD monitors now for one...

I'm one of the few really looking forward to this. I have hundreds of photos to process every week and the new processors mean my software will work on 12 pictures simultaneously instead of 8. For me, that is a much more compelling reason to upgrade than higher clock frequency. But i agree, few people will benefit from this.

What the he'll are you guys talking about?!? The 970 is not only going to have 6 cores but will also have 6.4 gt/s and 12mb lev 2 cache. Now I know not everyone cares but when your gaming and have high end video cards in sli, you better be over 4ghz or your bottleneck will be choking your GPU's to death. I totally agree with the 920 over the 965/975 because it's an overclocking champ, but the 970 is a different beast all together!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back