Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection upgrade issues

Big Dawg

I have an Asus P8P67 pro mobo with the Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection network adapter built in. It currently is using ver 11 driver.
I found the latest driver (PROWinx64.exe) to update it (I'm having some issues).
When I try to update it, I get an error box that says:

"The installed version of Intel Proset is not supported for upgrades. You must uninstall it before installing this version".

When I go to Device Manager to uninstall the Gigabit Network Connection in order to install this update...Windows re-installs it before I can run the update. Thus I can't update the driver. How do I stop Windows 7 from automatically updating this driver so that I will have time enough to manually update it with the downloaded newer driver?

I'm Running Windows 7 64bit

Any ideas?

Uninstall through Programs and Features in the Control Panel. Uninstalling through the Device Manager is only temporary and does not actually get rid of the driver. Basically, it just disconnects the device from the driver. As you found out it will reinstall itself every time you restart the computer.

JC&13:
Thanks for the help. My problem is I am not sure what I'm looking for in the ADD/Remove screen.
The only thing that remotely looks like what I should uninstall says "Intel Trusted Connect Service Client".
Is this what I want to un-install before using your install link?

Is that the only thing that comes up in the search under the keyword "Intel" in add/or remove programs?

No...intel processor utiltiy, intel management engine components, intel rapid storage and intel control center. But nothing that looks like the lan driver.

Yeah, dont touch any of those. The driver should be uninstalled though.

1. Click on the Start button.
2. Type in "Device Manager".
4. In the right hand pane, expand the "Network Adapters" entry by clicking on the "+" button next to it or by double clicking on it.
5. Right click on the "x" (tell me what is under that entry) and click on Uninstall.
6. Check "Delete the driver software for this device" in the dialog that appears and click on OK.
7. Restart and install the driver I provided above.

JC713:
Thanks for the advice, but your last post is what I have already tried. As I said in my first post, as soon as I uninstall the driver in Device Manager, my Windows 7 immediately re-installs it before I can run the updated driver. I've even tried clicking on the update driver just before I uninstall the current driver...but Windows is too fast and installs the same driver before the updated driver can even get installed.
By the way the entry is Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection.

Did you check the option "Delete the driver software for this device" in the dialog that appears?

Yes I did that as well. Even though doing that allowed me to supposedly uninstall the network driver, (the network Icon had a red X in it) the new driver still stopped and said "The installed version of Intel Proset is not supported for upgrades. You must uninstall it before installing this version". I had to re-install the old version again.
So I just don't seem to be able to get this new version to install.

Over time, Windows may have installed multiple "instances" of the Intel network driver. (There's only one copy of the driver files on disk. Each driver "instance" is defined in the registry))

By default, device manager only displays detected devices and its current "instance". There may be old instances still defined in the registry that the new driver is detecting so it fails. (The old instance are called "ghost" or "phantom" devices) Ghost devices appear in DevMgr with semi-transparent icons)

Create a system restore point and see http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/CS-029916.htm
1) I suggest you only try removing ghost network adapter through device manager not manual registry edits
2) In general, one shouldn't remove ghosts unless they know what they are. Some non-plug and play devices display as Ghosts and are needed. So, all ghosts shouldn't be removed

JC13 and LookinAround:
I followed the first link provided by JC713's but found no grayed out items in Network Adapter. Thus there didn't appear to be any ghost items to remove?

Did you see any ghosts elsewhere in Device Manager? They're often found under USB or Storage Volumes? (just to make sure you did the instructions right). If you see them elsewhere, but not under Network, then, darn, thought it might help but network ghost devices aren't the problem in your case :(

@lookingaround, would he be able to go into the Windows driver folder in the main drive and deleting it manually?

Hmm...I tried it again and did find several greyed out items but none looked like what I wanted.
I found:
RAS Async Adapter, Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC and TomTom.
The Realtek was a PCI card I used when I thought the built in Nic wasn't working. Not sure why TomTom is in here. It is my GPS that I use and connect to the computer for map updates. Other than that nothing else.
Of course the Intel Gigabyte is listed but isn't greyed out.

JC713 Uninstallers are pretty good about cleaning up disk files. It's the registry cleanup that tends to be the problem.

Big Dawg Maybe another possibility. fyi.. Windows loves to hide things.
> As you saw, DevMgr doesn't display ghosts, by default
> So too, Programs and Features (and Add/Remove Programs) don't show everything as well! (program entries can be marked to NOT display)

Take a look at this thread: http://communities.intel.com/thread/20067
Seems to be similar problem as yours and two people (last two posts) used a MS tool to uninstall the Network Adapter. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2438651
Run the tool and see if the network adapter appears in the list of things to uninstall. Might be the Network Adapter entry is normally hidden

Would this help?:
  1. From a command prompt, open regedt32.exe.
  2. Backup the registry by choosing File > Export.
  3. Go to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002bE10318}
    • Remove the numbered (0001 or 0007) registry keys where its DriverDesc value(s) = the name of your Intel LAN connection.
  4. Go to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    • Remove one of the following registry keys where, in subKey Connection
      • Name value= Local Area Connection X and PnpInstanceID value = \ROOT\IANSMINIPORT\xxxx
      • Name value= Local Area Connection X and PnpInstanceID value = PCI/VEN_8086&DEV_xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  5. Go to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkCards
    • Remove the numbered key (1 or 5) where its Description value = the name of your Intel LAN connection(s).
  6. Remove the following keys, if present:
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Intel\Network_Services\ANS
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Intel\Network_Services\DMIX
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Intel\Network_Services\INST_LANGUAGE_PRIV
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Intel\Network_Services\NCS2
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Intel\Prounstl\Dins
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Intel\Prounstl\Services
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Intel\SupportedDevices
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iANSMiniport
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iANSProtocol
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PROSetDX
      • Search in the Uninstall section for "Intel(R) Network Connections". If you find a key where the DisplayVersion value equals your PROSet/DMIX version (DisplayVersion = 14.5.1.0), delete this Key.({AAA8CA88-8A22-43D1-867F-ABD7944C9815})
  7. Remove the following under:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders
    • ..\Intel\ANS\
    • ..\Intel\DMIX\
    • ..\Intel\DMIX\Hlp\
    • ..\Intel\DMIX\Resource\
    • ..\Intel\DMIX\uninst\
    • ..\Intel\NS2\
    • ..\Intel\NCS2\Agent\
    • ..\Intel\NCS2\Scripts\
    • ..\Intel\NCS2\WMIProv\
    • ..\Intel\NCS2\WMIProv\MOF\
  8. Save and reboot.
(Courtesy of Intel)

I have an Asus P8P67 pro mobo with the Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection network adapter built in. It currently is using ver 11 driver.
Big Dawg
I just took a look at the ASUS support page for your P8P67 Pro running Windows 7 64bit. That latest driver there is Ver 17.3.0 (I don't see a ver 11).

Could you clarify which driver version have installed and what you're trying to upgrade to?

JC713:
I downloaded and ran the Fixit. It found "Intel Network connections" which I do not see in Programs and Features however, I wonder if this is the right one to uninstall. The reason is, fixit says the version is 16.5 but it doesn't have the same name or version as in Device Mgr under Network Adapter. Device mgr. says Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection and the driver version is 11.13. Do you think Intel Network connections and Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection are the same? Different version numbers too???.

I had something similar with my intel onboard chip as well.
For me, going to Device Manager (Press Win key + Pause Break and click it on the left)
right-clicking the network adapter, clicking "Uninstall" and ticking "Delete driver" did it for me. After that I just used the ProWin64 program.

Thomas7:
I did that already, however when I tried to install the latest version, I still got the error message about needing to uninstall the previous version first...thus the latest steps to see what's up.

Yea, it can cause confusion but it's common for the driver "install package" to have a different version number then driver it's installing. If you look at ASUS support site for your model you'll see 16.5 is the version # for the ASUS install package.. (While it actually installs Intel driver ver 11.13.51, dated 07/20/2011, if I read the install package files right)

As for upgrading, I'd advise upgrading to the newer version offered by ASUS. (And note the site asks you to download a utility first)

As to the driver on Intel site:
> Note that vendors (ASUS) may modify the chip (Intel) provided generic driver to suit specific ASUS functionality. Always better a get drivers from the vendor unless you have a specific problem or need to try the ones from Intel
> Plus, I looked at the Release Notes for the Intel driver. Its changes provide support for Intel chips not on your m/b. So nothing to gain

lookinaround:
I had gone to the Asus site earlier, but was confused by the choices under LAN.
The first choice was:
Intel LAN Driver V17.3.0.0 for Windows XP 32bit & XP 64bit & Win7 32bit & Win7 64bit & Win8 32bit & Win8 64bit.(WHQL) Intel LAN Driver V17.3.0.0 for Windows XP 32bit & XP 64bit & Win7 32bit & Win7 64bit & Win8 32bit & Win8 64bit.(WHQL) It doesn't say anything about being the Gigabit that is installed on my mobo.
Since the NVM pre-install was in this section I was confused whether they meant that this newer driver was also considered the Gigabit Ethernet Driver or not.
Besides, the next one: Intel Gigabit Ethernet Driver V16.5.0.0 for Windows 32/64bit XP & 32/64bit Vista & 32/64bit 7.(WHQL) had an earlier date and an earlier version number, so I thought that the first newer LAN driver might be the one I should install, but like I said it didn't indicate that it is the Intel Gigabit.

Lastly...if you are right about the actual version number for the driver...11.13.51 dated 7/20/11...that is the current driver version on my system now. So, unless the newest LAN driver (17.3.0) is what I am suppose to download, then I am where I need to be.
Thanks for yours and Thomas7's help.

Back