TechSpot

Intel releases 7-Series chipsets as Ivy Bridge launch approaches

By Jos
Apr 10, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Intel this week officially released the 7-series chipset family that will go along their third generation Core microarchitecture processors, known as Ivy Bridge, for notebooks and desktops products. Although the…

Read the whole story
  2. mosu

mosu TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 299

And still no Thunderbolt...
  3. captainawesome

captainawesome TechSpot Guru Posts: 411   +42

I really wish old tech wouldn't even exist in the higher end board. That is *only* USB3, SATA3, PCIe3. None of the little bit of the new coupled with a crap load of the old
  4. same old bullshit by intel, will overclock their old cpus and release it by giving a new name IVY BRIDGE, with cost nearly double to Sandy bridge.
  5. @captainawesome - At least keep some USB 2.0 ports, USB 1.1 devices are not recognized in USB 3.0.

Of course you may be able to get around that by plugging in a usb 2.0 hub in usb 3.0 port then the 1.1 device in the hub... I'll have to try that.
  6. venomblade

venomblade Newcomer, in training Posts: 69

@Guest Actually the MSRP for the 3570k(2500k's replacement) and 3770k(2600k's replacement) are about the same. $225 and $332 respectively...try again..
  7. @venomblade

That's about a 50% price increase...
  8. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,590   +864

And for the rest of us who don't want to buy every piece of hardware we own over again, every time a new chipset comes out, where does that leave us in, "your personal grand scheme of things"...?
  9. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,825   +1,436

It is my understanding that USB 3.0 uses two controllers.

The old USB 2.0 controller (which should be backward compatible to 1.1) and the new USB 3.0 controller.

Am I mistaken about this?
  10. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,819   +651

Ah, mosu....another Intel article, another ill-informed trolling post.

Intel DZ77RE-75K (with Thunderbolt controller)
    MSI Z77A-GD80 (with Thunderbolt controller)
    Then of course Asus have Thunderbolt headers to accept (presumeably) their own Thunderbolt expansion card -not to be confused with the "Thunderbolt" sound/NIC card using the same name. Not exactly rocket science to realise that all is required for Thunderbolt to be a feature on a board is the use of an onboard PLX lane extender, the controller IC and I/O connection.

You are correct.

And for the Guest...read and dispel the myth
  11. Ivy bridge is not an overclock of their Sandy Bridge processors. They are the same as the sandy bridge processors, but on a new manufacturing technology that shrinks the die size and cuts 50 watts off of the power consumption. They don't overclock better than Sandy Bridge unless you have a better cooling system.

Haswell is the next architecture overhaul, slated for release next year. They will pack a lot more punch.

12. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,819   +651

Guest poster wrong by 100%. Hands up all those who are surprised.

Sandy Bridge on P67/Z68/Z77 chipset: Max multiplier 57
    Ivy Bridge on P67/Z68/Z77 chipset: max multiplier 63

7GHz ( 63 x 112 BCLK) on IB already achieved on a pre-released BIOS

[BSN]
  13. dude Intel ivy bridge is not same old tech its totally new for me it is 22nm it have 3D transistor its coming with PCI-E 3.0 & lots of other features aswell so its going to be better than Sandy Bridge for sure. Cheers
  14. princeton

princeton TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,716

No those prices are nearly identical to current SB part MSRPs.
  15. I agree fully with your sentiments. The world would be improved if only the new and better performing products were allowed to go forward. That is why I am also in favor of gasoline failing to work in any car older than 5 years old. Similarly, elderly people should be employed at the Soylent Green factory to reduce burden on the system. Having infrastructure that continues to support old stuff is bad and inefficient.
  16. DAOWAce

DAOWAce Newcomer, in training Posts: 68

Lack of more than 2 native SATA6 ports hurts more than anything else.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.