Intel reportedly releasing just two socketed Broadwell CPUs

Scorpus

Staff member

intel broadwell cpus cpu desktop broadwell socketed

It has been rumored that there will only be a short gap between the launch of Intel's socketed Broadwell and Skylake CPUs for desktop systems, and as such, the company will only launch two LGA 1150 Broadwell-based CPUs onto the market.

A report from VR-Zone details the two desktop Broadwell processors, manufactured using a 14nm process, that are expected to launch during Q2 2015. Both fully unlocked quad-core parts with Hyper-Threading, the Core i7-5775C and Core i5-5675C will have a rated TDP of 65W, support for DDR3L-1600 memory, and come with Iris Pro 6200 graphics.

As for clock speeds, the i7-5775C features a base clock of 3.3 GHz that can Turbo up to 3.7 GHz, alongside 6 MB of L3 cache. The i5-5675C is a 3.1 GHz part that boosts up to 3.6 GHz, alongside 4 MB of L3 cache.

Both of these CPUs have more modest specifications compared to their unlocked Haswell brothers, the i7-4790K and i5-4690K, the former of which is clocked at 4.0 GHz with a 4.4 GHz Turbo clock. With overclocking it could be another story, but it appears Intel is saving the next wave of high-performance CPUs for the Skylake launch.

Intel has had trouble getting Broadwell silicon onto the market, first launching low-power Core M products at the end of 2014 after several delays, while performance parts are yet to debut. It's expected that the aforementioned Broadwell socketed desktop SKUs, alongside performance mobile chips, will debut around Computex in June.

Skylake, Intel's new architecture on the same 14nm node as Broadwell, will reportedly launch in Q3 2015, leaving only a few months between CPU launches.

Permalink to story.

It often makes you wonder why push Broadwell now, when Haswell has a lot of traction and it's a few months to Skylake. They also included some BGA in the mix for other devices, but pushing a desktop chip seems a bit odd. Given the few months in between them and people unlikely, to drop Haswell unless for lower power systems.

All in all it's negligible power savings, we'd need to obviously see how the integrated graphics fair. It might be a solution for some people, but obviously not everyone is going to see it as a huge importance. It's kinda amusing to me because, I'm looking to replace my mobo / CPU right now. I'd likely sit and wait for Skylake, simply because I'd only be wanting to buy one upgrade. Upgrading is a low priority right now anyways, so there's less inclination to spend right away.

Intel is almost saying, "Here's some Broadwell desktop CPUs but we don't really want you to buy them. So were gonna cripple them and make them less powerful and less desirable than the previous generation Haswell." Who is going to buy the i5-5675C with less L3 cache and same HD4600 graphics? Unless it's sold as a cheaper alternative to Haswell you'd have to be retarded to choose it over Haswell.

Edit: I guess I read it wrong. It does have the better graphics. But gimped L3 cache. Wonder why they used less L3 cache though? So, it's not a raw deal. Just a wash.

Last edited:
I guess I read it wrong. It does have the better graphics. But gimped L3 cache. Wonder why they used less L3 cache though? So, it's not a raw deal. Just a wash.
It has less L3 cache but its integrated GPU has embedded RAM, which also acts as a last-level cache. So it may have 2 MB less on L3, but it has 128 MB (if I'm not mistaken) of "L4" cache.

I guess I read it wrong. It does have the better graphics. But gimped L3 cache. Wonder why they used less L3 cache though? So, it's not a raw deal. Just a wash.
It has less L3 cache but its integrated GPU has embedded RAM, which also acts as a last-level cache. So it may have 2 MB less on L3, but it has 128 MB (if I'm not mistaken) of "L4" cache.

When you put it that way, it sounds like a much better deal. 4MB L3 + 128MB of L4 cache versus only 6MB of L3 cache? Okay, I have no idea which is better at this point honestly. I'll have to wait for reviews.

If that i5 is appropriately priced that could put some major pressure on the A-10 Kaveri CPUS since Iris Pro wasn't put onto a socket CPU in haswell.

If that i5 is appropriately priced that could put some major pressure on the A-10 Kaveri CPUS since Iris Pro wasn't put onto a socket CPU in haswell.

Regardless, no body would buy this for a getaway CPU+GPU on a single die.

You either need a quick working PC and you buy an AMD APU or you need slightly more power and you buy a CPU and a GPU.

If you want proper CPU horsepower for rendering or whatnot, you get an FX83xx, or the Haswell i5/i7 which still are clocked significantly higher than these Broadwell parts.

Regardless, no body would buy this for a getaway CPU+GPU on a single die.

You either need a quick working PC and you buy an AMD APU or you need slightly more power and you buy a CPU and a GPU.

If you want proper CPU horsepower for rendering or whatnot, you get an FX83xx, or the Haswell i5/i7 which still are clocked significantly higher than these Broadwell parts.
They are both unlocked chips so the clock speeds don't matter much since you control them. I have met a lot of gamers over the last 2 years that are running just AMD APUs in a desktop build, the plan being to eventually move on to a better GPU when the need arises or more commonly they were on the HTPC they built for the living Console like system, the i5 would still throw a big punch in for gaming. I have seen what a HD 4600 with 20 EUs can do these have a higher clock 48 EU and 128mb ERAM so I could see plenty of horse power for gaming while be very quiet and fitting into 9 x 9 itx cases with external power.

Exactly. A 65w TDP will allow headroom for overclock while keeping well under 90w which is perfect for a compact itx form factor with external power. The key will be whether the 128mb l4 cache is useful for anything else besides graphics.

Back