Intel to delay volume shipments of Ivy Bridge processors until June

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Intel is reportedly notifying its partners that they will be delaying volume shipments of their upcoming Ivy Bridge processor until June. The delay comes because both Intel and notebook vendors are having a hard time moving existing Sandy Bridge inventory due to the weak global economy, according to sources from notebook players as reported by DigiTimes.

Intel is still planning to announce and ship the 22nm die shrink of Sandy Bridge in early April but quantities will be limited. If this strategy holds true, early adopters can expect to pay a premium for the new silicon – that is, if they can find it in stock. Intel’s existing Sandy Bridge-E i7-3930K has been plagued with retail shortages for several weeks as demand for the enthusiast-level chip continues to rise.

With Intel shifting their schedule, it puts vendors in a precarious position as many have already started working on Ultrabooks built around Ivy Bridge. Furthermore, will a knowledgeable consumer look to invest in a Sandy Bridge notebook when Ivy Bridge is just around the bend?

Notebook vendors still feel that the PC replacement trend won’t pick up steam until later this year when Microsoft releases Windows 8. As such, the first three quarters of 2012 are being referred to as a dark period in the notebook industry.

PCWorld points out that other factors like the flooding in Thailand that has led to hard drive shortages and a trending consumer shift from PCs to smartphones and tablets has also negatively impacted the notebook industry.

Permalink to story.

Not surprised... They have no competition from amd. They have yet to release a cpu that can totally dominate Nehalem. So why release something faster than SB just keep milking it. And with AMD focusing less on the highend with there inability to compete we will be seeing more of this to come. For those of you that upgrade on a 12-18 month cycle you may want to start looking at extended those into 36+ month cycles.

lionvibez said:
Not surprised... They have no competition from amd. They have yet to release a cpu that can totally dominate Nehalem. So why release something faster than SB just keep milking it.

Sounded kind of cruel but it's true; I even expected more from the 7770 [7750 I think is OK by now -price/performance but being from AMD's latest GPU gen I think my disappointment will come when we see price and benchmarks of NVIDIA's next gen GPU of a card in that price range -probably the GTX 640], at least it is almost price-positioned according to its relative performance vs the GTX 560 but anyway I expected maybe a little bit more, same with the 7970.

And yet, they want to do stupid things like selling AMD "gaming" [nothing that a Kingston Hyper-X, Corsair or G-Skill can't offer] RAM memories to be in a worse situation -there you have that new about the CTO... I think AMD should focus on less markets rather than try to expand to others. Just like Intel did: retrieve from the smart TV market when the company saw how hard would it be to compete with Samsung -on producing chips obviously, not the whole TV.

36+ month seems good for me. If you will not make faster money by getting a faster CPU .. then I suppose it's fine. If you do .. then I think you afford a new CPU ;-) Electronics where not ever been cheap I think :D

This is seriously bad news. I have been impatiently waiting for April to arrive to get my new mobo and CPU :( I already even ordered the case and PSU :( Not cool at all. I suppose lionvibez is right though. Intel has no reason to rush. They can wait for all stock of Sandy bridge to deplete and then still make their own shortage if they wanted to without being hit hard by people moving to the AMD camp :(

Is the delay only for Ivy Bridge mobile processors, or desktop processors as well?

Guest said:
I guess Trinity now stands a chance.

LOL, Trinity has nothing to do with SB. Trinity is the continuing of Llano based on Bulldozer architecture, which competed [the Llano] with an ION+Atom combo mostly. Trinity would be up to a Phenom X4 similar processing performance, plus a better graphics performance than Llano. If even a Phenom X6 can beat a FX-8150 in some situations... don't expect more from an A10-5800K Trinity; the SB i5 will keep doing just fine. They probably will fit with a SK1155 Pentium+GT 620 or something more powerful than ION+Atom but not as powerful and costly like an i3+GT 440 combo. We'll see when Steve does the benchmarking and see how far my predictions are from reality, time will say.

EEatGDL said:
lionvibez said:
Not surprised... They have no competition from amd. They have yet to release a cpu that can totally dominate Nehalem. So why release something faster than SB just keep milking it.

Sounded kind of cruel but it's true; I even expected more from the 7770 [7750 I think is OK by now -price/performance but being from AMD's latest GPU gen I think my disappointment will come when we see price and benchmarks of NVIDIA's next gen GPU of a card in that price range -probably the GTX 640], at least it is almost price-positioned according to its relative performance vs the GTX 560 but anyway I expected maybe a little bit more, same with the 7970.

And yet, they want to do stupid things like selling AMD "gaming" [nothing that a Kingston Hyper-X, Corsair or G-Skill can't offer] RAM memories to be in a worse situation -there you have that new about the CTO... I think AMD should focus on less markets rather than try to expand to others. Just like Intel did: retrieve from the smart TV market when the company saw how hard would it be to compete with Samsung -on producing chips obviously, not the whole TV.

While I agree the 7770 is kinda of a joke after reading those reviews. I don't considering the ATI side of AMD in the same position they can and have been competing nicely with Nvidia at the highend for years now and doesn't look likes they are going to throw in the towel. The same can't be said for the cpu side currently. I certainly miss the days of operton and A64 destroying the P4. But in hindside AMD just got lucky intel was stuck pushing an inferior processor. And since Conroe we have seen what happends when you wake a sleeping giant.

On throwing the towel I was refering to the Radeon DDR3 memories market; not Graphics division. My Intel example was on a market they have quite no experience, same on AMD with RAM memories for "gaming". No AMD on graphics division means no competition, monopoly, let NVIDIA do whatever they want at the cost they want, same on x86 processor division. Just not AMD Radeon DDR3 memories: https://www.techspot.com/news/44998-amd-dabbles-in-dram-intros-radeon-branded-ddr3-memory.html

Sorry if my point wasn't clear.

EEatGDL said:
On throwing the towel I was refering to the Radeon DDR3 memories market; not Graphics division. My Intel example was on a market they have quite no experience, same on AMD with RAM memories for "gaming". No AMD on graphics division means no competition, monopoly, let NVIDIA do whatever they want at the cost they want, same on x86 processor division. Just not AMD Radeon DDR3 memories: https://www.techspot.com/news/44998-amd-dabbles-in-dram-intros-radeon-branded-ddr3-memory.html

Sorry if my point wasn't clear.

No it was my bad I misunderstood.

Thanks for the correct.

You guys are too funny. The delay probably has nothing remotely to do with what AMD is doing. Why is it because Intel does something its automatically tied to "OMG AMD Failz so thats why its delayed!!!"

Could it not be something else???

Anyway, those who keep waiting will keep on waiting. Why not go with an i7 2600k NOW and enjoy the thing for the next few years.

sarcasm said:
You guys are too funny. The delay probably has nothing remotely to do with what AMD is doing. Why is it because Intel does something its automatically tied to "OMG AMD Failz so thats why its delayed!!!"

Could it not be something else???

Anyway, those who keep waiting will keep on waiting. Why not go with an i7 2600k NOW and enjoy the thing for the next few years.

The reason I don't think its something else is because intel has the money and resources to fix most issues quickly. And this is quite the delay and trust me had AMD produced something worthy you can be damned sure this would have came out on time or early.

agreed with lionvibez. Although I don't think they delaying it because of what AMD is doing specifically. I think if AMD *were* competitive on the high end or even on the performance/watt front then Intel would not have delayed. What we are saying is that they have the luxury of time seeing as they are not being challenged.

I'm quite curious, now that I think about, what could be Nvidias plan with their 6xx series ?

Intel has other issues integrating SOC and sata/esata controllers along with USB. They are also twiddling their fingers with Thunderbolt and other technologies. They are are not only waiting to deplete existing inventory, the fact is they have serious integration challenges.

If it's useful for you, here are some suppostly filtered data about 600 NVIDIA GPU series [at least they look very detailed to be made up], I used it for reference to models and maybe the launch time, but only time will tell: [link]http://lenzfire.com/2012/02/entire-nvidia-kepler-series-specifications-price-release-date-43823/[\link]

bring the prices of hard disk drives to the 50-60$ mark (1tb and up) and i will help clear sandy bridge inventories by buying i3-2120 and/or i5-2500.

my thermaltake case is ready.
my 4x4gb ddr3-1600, 1.5v ram is ready.
my AMD 6950 video card is not.

and on that note, :) please delay it until windows 8 is ready. :)
maybe i can find a more decent/recent AMD video card at a more affordable price point.

anyway, i suspect microsoft will not release windows 8 until hdd prices fall down pre-2011 thai floods.

otherwise, adaption will be "halted" by the likes of me.

Guest said:
Intel has other issues integrating SOC and sata/esata controllers along with USB. They are also twiddling their fingers with Thunderbolt and other technologies. They are are not only waiting to deplete existing inventory, the fact is they have serious integration challenges.

Very good point. They should probably stop changing the chipset with every release. I understand when it is necessary to add new tech like SATA3 and USB3 and PCIe3 etc. But take a page out of AMD's book and stop forcing people to buy new motherboards

Very good point. They should probably stop changing the chipset with every release. I understand when it is necessary to add new tech like SATA3 and USB3 and PCIe3 etc. But take a page out of AMD's book and stop forcing people to buy new motherboards
Forcing who ? And how?
Given that you seem to be using a close to five year old board, it seems as though this supposed "forced purchase" of updated hardware is seriously flawed.

BTW: You do realize that the Intel "chipsets" are part of the CPU and not the board.

As for taking a page out of AMD's book- you mean by not offering PCI-E 3.0 at all ? Just as well Intel are implementing it, since 3.0 is a large bulletpoint in AMD's HD 7000 marketing, and "The all-new PCI-E 3.0 HD 7970! Feel free to use it to it's fullest potential possibly as early as 2014" doesn't have much of a ring to it.

Back