Intel to launch low-cost 40GB SSD, new enterprise lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Intel plans to release a $120 40GB SSD, which the company hopes will be adopted as a boot drive in servers, or potentially used in low-end laptops and netbooks. Intel is also working a new line of enterprise-class SSDs including models that are 50GB, 100GB, and 200GB in capacity. The new series of SSDs would be a substantial boost from the company's currently available enterprise drives -- the X25-E -- which only ships in 32GB and 64GB capacities.

Behind the scenes, Intel's 40GB X25-V is known as the Glen Brook drive. In order to meet its $120 price-point, the drive will use MLC NAND flash memory. It's currently shipping to system makers in sample volumes and should be widely available in January.

Meanwhile, Intel's less cost-prohibited enterprise SSD series will use SLC NAND flash chips, and should bring a 40% price cut (or about $6.50 per gigabyte), over the X25-E series. For instance, the upcoming 50GB enterprise drive is planned to have an MSRP of $350. Samples of the new lineup should ship in April and are expected to be available in July, 2010.

Permalink to story.

I'm sure limited capacity SSDs will have their uses, but I wish they would just focus their efforts on making SSDs more cost effective at larger capacities.

Nice to see the pricing finally dropping to more realistic levels. Now if they can get a 500 gig SSD down to about $100, I'll be a happy camper. ;)

This sounds like good news to me, have been reluctant to dole out for the expensive drives thus far. I'm sure I'll probably go buy one of these in the near future :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back