TechSpot

Intel to ship dual-core Sandy Bridge chips on February 20

By Jos
Feb 9, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Despite recent problems with its 6 Series chipset Intel is moving full steam ahead with the rollout of new Sandy Bridge processors. The dual-core, four-thread mobile variants in the Core i3, i5, and i7 families will launch on February 20 using between 17 and 35 watts of power while running at speeds up to 2.7GHz, according to the chip maker's website.

Read the whole story

2. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 TS Rookie Posts: 489

Looks like a full-bore Sandy Bridge launch even with the P67 chipset problem. Intel looks bent on pressuring AMD in every price segment of the PC market. Bad news also for Socket 1156 and 1366 owners, their upgrade path looks to be pretty much non existent at this point.

3. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 959   +49

Kinda glad I've more or less waited until now (some being money/price issues, others being lazy), though I'll look into a full rebuild after the chipset issue has been cleared out of the air.

Also, am I the only one crazy enough to want a sandy bridge based laptop in a netbook sized enclosure, while not particularly caring about power drain? Seriously, I'd love one for basic photo editing (can't do much on a 10.1-11 inch screen lol) and tagging, as well as general use that DOES NOT feel sluggish, like it does with pretty much every netbook that has come out up till now. Even If it lasted an hour to an hour and a half, that'd be a win for me. =p

I'm just that crazy.

4. I completely agree with you man. But alas! there is something for our taste! check out the alienware m11x. 11'' screen with the with available i7. Very powerful 11'' notebook.

5. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 959   +49

Acer has a system out with that processor too, but only with intel graphics so compared to the m11x it's still weak. I figure a Sandy Bridge based netbook sized laptop would be better performance per watt, even in LV-ULV territory.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.