TechSpot

Intel's 6-core Gulftown to debut as Core i7 980X

By Jos
Dec 14, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PC online has leaked an Intel published slide showing what appears to be the official branding for its upcoming six-core Gulftown processor. Long rumored to be released with the Core i9 identifier, the 32nm Westmere based chip will reportedly debut as the Core i7 980X instead, featuring 3.3GHz clock speeds and a whopping 12MB of L3 cache.

Read the whole story

2. pcnthuziast

pcnthuziast TS Rookie Posts: 313

In a word... WOW!!!

3. compdata

compdata TechSpot Paladin Posts: 604

Now lets hope for more programs (that mere mortals can pay for) that actually use more then one core at a time :)

4. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,348   +398

Those are some incredible specs. Even though there is essentially no software that can make use of that technology yet, I may have to get one just for bragging rights. ;-)

5. Se7enVII

Se7enVII TS Rookie Posts: 49

+1!

6. dummybait

dummybait TS Rookie Posts: 45

BUAHAHA love your comment.....so true

7. matchu

matchu TS Enthusiast Posts: 111

Tom. That was amazing =P

1000 dollar bragging rights... i think i'll just build a new computer to brag with instead!

8. Puiu

Puiu TS Addict Posts: 1,062   +98

I'm more interested in AMD's solution. What performance and at what price it will be? That is the question. ^_^

9. Cueto_99

Cueto_99 TS Enthusiast Posts: 247   +12

Now...why did Intel branded it as Core i7... this is a new level of performance (althought it hasn't been benchmarked, it has six cores), and process manufacturing (32nm)... IMHO Intel should have named it Core i9

10. jgvmx

jgvmx TS Rookie Posts: 46

Sounds very impressive... as well as pricey. Well, at least Intel isn't planning to release it on yet another socket. As for AMD, i wonder if they will pull out their product in time to compete with Intel offerings?

11. hheemmpp

hheemmpp TS Rookie

I wish I could get one but I can all ready tell its gunna be a small fortune like a core i7 :p

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.