TechSpot

Intel's Lynnfield chips to arrive in early September

By Julio Franco
May 30, 2009
  1. After an intentional delay to cope with overstock problems, a number of sources in Taiwan have reportedly confirmed today that Intel\'s next generation Lynnfield chips and P55 motherboards will arrive in stores on September 1st. The so-called Core i5 parts come as mainstream variants to the Nehalem micro architecture, though unfortunately the use of a new socket (LGA-1156) sort of defeats the whole ‘more affordable’ idea for users seeking to simply upgrade to a faster processor.

Read the whole story

2. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Topic Starter Posts: 6,602   +358

3. mrturtle

mrturtle TS Rookie Posts: 53

The only time I would personally go for an intel chip is in a laptop.

4. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,506   +238

Yet another socket type from Intel. I suppose motherboard makers aren't complaining.

5. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,266   +42

I hope amd gives something good with the 45nm chips, or they may be stuck selling in the low end focus group, and yet they still have to compete with intel there.

6. poundsmack

poundsmack TS Rookie Posts: 74

Why they wen't DMI instead of using QPI is beyond me. sure it might prevent canibalizing their high end, and it might be cheaper to impliment, but int he long run mantaining 2 seperate processes to do similar things seems a bit strange from a cost and marketing perspective. in the end it will only hurt them, as their QPI is much better and is what they are betting on for their future road maps. It is just like making most of the Aton chips only 32 bit, that killed mainstream 64 bit adoption in the netbook area... oh well

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.