Internet connection on wireless router & modem, but no access

I know this topic has been on here before, but I can't find one specific to mine. Here's what's going on:

I had my desktop & wireless router all hooked up (DSL internet) and running fine in one room. I moved the desktop to another room, so i disconnected everything to move it and hooked it back up in the new room (different phone jack).

When the wires are plugged in, it registers on the modem and on the router that I have the internet connection.

The Desktop picks up the LAC but I'm assuming its just picking up the router power and not the actual connection, because it will not let me connect to the internet.

The laptop connects to the network but not the internet.

I have the DSL line plugged into the modem; a network cable running from that to the 'internet' port on the router, and another ethernet cable running from an ethernet port on the router to the network port on the pc (sounds right, right?) lol.

Here's the catch...If I disconnect the router altogether, and connect the network cable directly from the modem to the pc or laptop, viola I can access the internet.

As you can probably tell, I've done lots of trial & error in this process. I'm thinking there's a setup or configuring thing I may be missing. I guess my mind is thinking that something like that shouldn't have to be done considering it's all hardware that was connected and installed and configured before. I'm not an IT whiz though. So have at it...shoot some ideas my way because I'm going nuts. I wanna be able to sit in my recliner with the laptop again :) Thanks!

Reset the wireless router back to factory default settings. Then reconfigure it back. I would backup your settings first though on the router. That feature is hidden in the tools tab on the router. Did you have the power go out or what happen prior to this?

jobeard
So...
I went to the website for the config...I can't log in with the U: admin P: empty. Now what?

Oh and yes, it's a linksys router.

tipstir
Nothing happened. All I did was move the computer from one room to the next, which involved unplugging everything and plugging it back in.

the router needs to be reset; find the reset pin hole near the WAN slot;
press an hold ~15sec

With the AC power going to the router you need to press it for 90 seconds

take a paper clip an stick it into the hole of your router
power connected
keep pressing reset for the first 30 seconds
while pressing reset after the first 30 seconds unplug the power cord
remember to keep pressing reset (hold it in) method
after second 30 seconds plug in back the power cord
keep pressing reset (hold it in method) for another 30 seconds

to get into the router should be:

admin
blank (no password)

OK..that worked, because the power light is now constantly flashing on the router. Now when I go to 192.168.1.1, I get a different screen that asks for an update or upgrade file. The top of the screen says 'Management Mode Firmware Update (or upgrade...can't remember which)'. Then it gives me a 'browse' field to browse my computer. There is an Apply button and a Reset button (reset button just resets the form fields on the screen) So now what? lol this is crazy...Just from moving from one room to another. Me and technology have a love/hate relationship.

Back