TechSpot

Internet Explorer 10 address bar issues

By necee99
Apr 2, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hello friends, I have a lenovo b575 computer, windows 7, using internet exp 10. a few days ago I notice internet explorer not allowing me to type addresses in the address bar. I type the address I want and it does nothing, nor will it let me pull up sites from history or bookmarks. It just loads home page. I can go to sites by typing it into the google search on my homepage, but nothing else unless it is click-able straight from the visible page. please help.

2. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 5,385   +240

I've got the same problem which is one of the reasons I don't use IE 10. I use & prefer Firefox because in my opinion,its much safer.:)

3. necee99

necee99 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 139

I have thus far been using firefox b/c of glitch. but I still would like the option. have they come up with any fixes yet?

4. learninmypc

Well, if you know MS, I doubt they'll come up with a patch quickly enough, if at all.
    Here is a thread I had http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ie-10-for-w7.190223/

5. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,057   +918

They will fix it next month hopefully. There are numerous cosmetic issues with the settings menu also.

6. necee99

Thx guys. I guess its firefox 4 now.

7. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TS Maniac Posts: 1,855   +184

I have been using it for a bout a month now. Seems to working great hear. No problems with the address bar. or books marks. Have you tried to reset it. Back to default .This may solve your problem

8. learninmypc

9. Cobalt006

Seems their patching for hacking and malware. But not for the problems you guys are having.

10. learninmypc

Since I don't use IE10, I really don't care unless its a security problem..
    I'm stuill wondering when we're going to have the option to UNinstall IE. I thought that was supposed to happen by now.:confused:

11. JC713

Microsoft sometimes deploys updates without stating it outright.

12. Cobalt006

JC713, Yes they do.But you know I did some searching on their website earlier, about IE 10 and the address bar issue. Could not find a thing. Wonder if they are even aware of it. I so far have not had a problem with it at all.

Learnmypc: I would have thought buy now you would have had a choice to keep it or uninstall it.

13. JC713

Try reporting the issue. I doubt they will look at it though :( haha.

Edit: An even better idea is to go onto Microsoft Answers and post this issue there.

14. Cobalt006

What wait 6 months to a year, LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! From what I have found is, Some people are having issue as you have said with address bar and menu. Others are not having issues. I have been using Ie 10 now for over a month on and off and not had a problem . Now my sister has had the same issue you are having, I told her to uninstall IE ten threw her updates. Then reinstall it. She been fine sense.

15. learninmypc

I only installed it because of so-called security. I don't use it at all thou.

16. Cobalt006

If you do not use,You would not have need to update for so called security . You could have stayed with 9. If you want to go back to 9 .You can threw Programs and Features in the control panel.

17. learninmypc

Thanks,I'll remember that,might try it.:)

18. Cobalt006

Your welcome:D

19. JC713

IE 10 is focused on speed rather than security (do not track is the only thing security wise that is noteworthy). IE 10 doubled the HTML 5 score IE9 had and really improved on loading speeds and such. If you are curious, check out Toms' Browser Grand Prix. The most recent one was done in March and compares Chrome 25, Firefox 19, IE 10, and a few others.

20. necee99

Wow. very interesting guys!!! I will try first setting it back to defalt, although I have not changed any settings. if that don't work I will try uninstalling and re installing.

21. JC713

I am surprised that Microsoft didn't fix this with the April patch.

22. Cobalt006

Why are you surprised? I am not. From as far as I can tell, They no nothing about this problem. Plus very few people I have talk to have not had this problem with IE 10. The ones that did just reset the IE 10 back to default, Then were fine after. Like I said I have not had a problem. I am kind of wandering. If it might have been due to a bad download to start with. I have seen MS updates downloads be bad on the first download. Then when you re download them their fine.

23. learninmypc

I'm not surprised either. Look how long it took MS to get this far.

24. JC713

True. I guess some glitch from IE9 could have transferred and restoring defaults fixed it.

25. Cobalt006

I would agree with you there. Ie8 was great for doing that over IE 7&6

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.