Internet Explorer Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

rock15478

Hi, all of a sudden whenever I open Internet Explorer and I try to go to a website it brings up C:\Windows\System32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm in the status bar. I have scanned my computer and deleted ALL spyware using Spy Sweeper, Ad-Aware, Spybot, and Bazooka. ALL Spyware is gone. I have deleted all temporary internet files, all cookies, and I still get this message. I cannot go to any website. I have looked all around the internet for this answer but I can't find it. The only way I was even able to view this website to post on this forum was to go to a different computer in my house. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

By the way, the internet connection is still there as I am able to check email, log on to instant messenger, and the other computers on my network are all accessible as well.

That isn't a website, but a default error page displayed by Internet Explorer when no Internet connection can be detected.

If you can indeed still check your email and instant message, my first bet would be a damaged Winsock, which would affect only HTTP (webpage) traffic.

Here's more information on how to repair winsock:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=811259

More possibilities include settings and programs. Things such as wrong proxy server settings and improperly installed/uninstalled firewall or content filtering software can block web traffic.

If you don't have any of this software installed and don't know what a proxy server is, these things are much less likely though.

Also, check to be sure you do not have a LMHOSTS file entry that is blocking websites.. this can cause DNS errors.

A third thing to check is under tools->connections->settings and lansettings that there are no proxy servers. If a spyware installed a proxy server, this setting may not have been removed when you remove it.

Also.. have you checked to see with another program that you can reach a website? If you can't check email with a program, and have other problems, this indicates a connection problem, if it's only IE that is having trouble, then this is an IE setting. If you need a surefire way, open up a command window (start->run-> cmd or command...) then run ping www.cnn.com (or some other site). If you get a response of any type, it's not your connection..

EDIT: I see above you mention the connection's fine. So this is IE specific. That excludes the LMHOSTS file most likely, and sounds more like a proxy server setting in the connections settings...

Let us know what you discover if anything, and what you try so we can help you further.

Yeah, it was a proxy server setting. I have fixed the problem......Thanks for your help. One more thing though while I'm at it.....At the same time when this happened, for some reason I noticed notepad had a different icon next to it....so I clicked on notepad. It now opens Accessibilty Wizard instead of Notepad. This happened one other time and I simply just ran system restore. However, when I try to run system restore it says it can't be restored. Any ideas on this, and is this related to the problem I just fixed in any way (b/c both happened at the exact same time). Thanks

for the icon problem, if you have TweakUI installed, just use the option to repair icons and it should fix it, if not, just go here:
C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Local Settings\Application Data\ and delete Iconcache.db
then reboot.

Note that you may need to "show hidden files" in order to see Iconcache.db

I don't have TweakUI installed but I deleted Iconcache.db, rebooted, and the problem still continues (icon is wrong and it doesn't launch notepad). Any other ideas?

Is this the target in notpads properties? %SystemRoot%\system32\notepad.exe? If it is not is should be. Sounds like you have changed the program that opens that icon (type file) to me.

Right-click on the Notepad icon in your Start/Programs or wherever it is, select Properties/Shortcut
Look at the contents of Target and Start in, replace those with the path and proper name for Notepad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back