Internet speed died

By Hurriken
Nov 25, 2008
  1. I wasn't sure where to put this question.

Last week I noticed that my downloading speed was slowing down. I went to a few different sites where I averaged 1000kb/s. I have 15meg cable. I have a wireless router so I checked out my laptop and it read normal ~10-12 Meg. So I disconnected the router and put the cable straight into my PC. Same result. From that I take it that my router is fine and the problem is with the PC. I have no idea where to start and what to look at here. Any ideas?
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,233   +234

Virus or spyware, or other malware infection?
  3. Hurriken

Hurriken TS Booster Topic Starter Posts: 231

I should have reposted yesterday. I was wrong about my laptop. That is slowed down. I called the cable company and went through several tests. They confirmed that up to my cable modem I have 15MEG speed but for some reason that is not getting to any of my computers. They are sending someone but I have to wait untl Monday. So much for my planned weekend of gaming! No big deal. Hopefully it is something they can resolve.
  4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,233   +234

Thanks for the update Hurriken. I have a 200 yard run from the pole to my house. I can run 8 to 10k,($55.95) but I would be afraid to pay the extra $10 for 15k. The long cable run causes enough trouble. I can't have cable TV and Interrnet at the same time. Too much signal loss... I have Dish as my TV provider
  5. Hurriken

Hurriken TS Booster Topic Starter Posts: 231

I was probably averaging 10MEG and was sometimes pulling over 12MEG. I work out of my house so my employer takes care of it...heh heh heh! One good thing about this is it will make me tie up loose ends. I will try to tune for speed and I have to admit that I never even put a security code on my wireless router. I just got one this year and had trouble figuring it out so I gave up. I'll do that as soon as things are back to normal.
  6. LookinAround

LookinAround Ex Tech Spotter Posts: 6,491   +183

While they're their learn how to check the quality and strength of cable modem signal as that's often directly related to problem
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.