Internet speed died

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hurriken

I wasn't sure where to put this question.

Last week I noticed that my downloading speed was slowing down. I went to a few different sites where I averaged 1000kb/s. I have 15meg cable. I have a wireless router so I checked out my laptop and it read normal ~10-12 Meg. So I disconnected the router and put the cable straight into my PC. Same result. From that I take it that my router is fine and the problem is with the PC. I have no idea where to start and what to look at here. Any ideas?

I should have reposted yesterday. I was wrong about my laptop. That is slowed down. I called the cable company and went through several tests. They confirmed that up to my cable modem I have 15MEG speed but for some reason that is not getting to any of my computers. They are sending someone but I have to wait untl Monday. So much for my planned weekend of gaming! No big deal. Hopefully it is something they can resolve.

Thanks for the update Hurriken. I have a 200 yard run from the pole to my house. I can run 8 to 10k,($55.95) but I would be afraid to pay the extra $10 for 15k. The long cable run causes enough trouble. I can't have cable TV and Interrnet at the same time. Too much signal loss... I have Dish as my TV provider

I was probably averaging 10MEG and was sometimes pulling over 12MEG. I work out of my house so my employer takes care of it...heh heh heh! One good thing about this is it will make me tie up loose ends. I will try to tune for speed and I have to admit that I never even put a security code on my wireless router. I just got one this year and had trouble figuring it out so I gave up. I'll do that as soon as things are back to normal.

While they're their learn how to check the quality and strength of cable modem signal as that's often directly related to problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back