Internet stopped working, unidentified network

Everything was working fine for a few weeks, now it just refuses to connect. I've tried MULTIPLE fixes for this problem but just cant seem to get it back and running again. Im using a Linksys Wireless Gaming WGA54G Ver. 2.1 which has always worked in the past & was originally working on the PC until it randomly stopped. All my other devices/PC's can connect just fine. I have a Netgear Router & A Motorolla Modem. both up to date. PLEASE HELP!!! THIS IS FRUSTRATING!

I've tried:
-Resetting Router/Modem Multiple Times
-Changing Router Frequency from 6 to 11
-Changing MAC Address
-Deleted Norton Antivirus
-Deleted Bonjour
-Tried Windows Repair
-Tried System Restore to when it worked

Nothing seems to be working....

Heres my ipconfig /all:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Frostymcburg-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82566DC-2 Gigabit Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-E2-56-5B-A8
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::25ef:53ab:67ad:9e20%11(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.158.32(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234889186
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-17-4E-5B-4A-00-1F-E2-56-5B-A8
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{3D311609-387C-4749-8E60-A1DF794DC840}
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Everything was working fine for a few weeks, now it just refuses to connect. I've tried MULTIPLE fixes for this problem but just cant seem to get it back and running again.

Im using a Linksys Wireless Gaming WGA54G Ver. 2.1 which has always worked..... I have a Netgear Router & A Motorolla Modem. both up to date. PLEASE HELP!!! THIS IS FRUSTRATING!
So how are these wired? Like this?
Code:
ISP==> Motorolla --->NetGear--->WGA54g  ??
(copy and correct if necessary)

I've tried:
-Resetting Router/Modem Multiple Times
-Changing Router Frequency from 6 to 11
-Changing MAC Address
-Deleted Norton Antivirus
-Deleted Bonjour
-Tried Windows Repair
-Tried System Restore to when it worked

Nothing seems to be working....
good try, but Bonjour is useful
WHAT VERSION OF WINDOWS? XP, Vista, Win/7
Heres my ipconfig /all:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Frostymcburg-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid << great
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82566DC-2 Gigabit Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-E2-56-5B-A8
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::25ef:53ab:67ad:9e20%11(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.158.32(Preferred) << this is the bug
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234889186
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-17-4E-5B-4A-00-1F-E2-56-5B-A8
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1 << these fail because IPv4 failed
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:
-----
Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:
-----

You LAN connection is via ethernet cable and it can not find the router TO WHICH IT IS ATTACHED.

1. *unplug the Wireless Gaming WGA54G until the wired works.
  2. power off the modem
  3. power off the Netgear
  4. *unplug the Wireless Gaming WGA54G until the wired works.
  5. disconnect the computer from the router
Now wait 30-40 seconds between each of the following steps:
power up the modem
power up the Netgear
reconnect the computer to the netgear

get a command prompt and enter IPCONFIG
  • cope the results of the Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: section and stop just short of Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling
come back here and paste the results

Im using windows vista 64 bit on the desktop that randomly dropped connection. The gaming adapter is how I was getting internet from that pc. It works fine in my other pcs and gaming devices. The modem and router are hooked together I believe. The gaming adapter is in the back on the pc and is wireless

Copy the wiring noted above, correct it and paste with the IPCONFIG data.
The prior config data contradicts "The gaming adapter is how I was getting internet from that pc." but lets see.

The gaming adapter is a wireless box with an ethernet that you plug in the back of the pc. Not usb or built in or anything. It was working fine for weeks but just randomly stopped yesterday. Im not exactly sure what your asking me to do, sorry could you explain more clearly? Thanks for the help

So it goes ISP > Modem > Router(Wireless). The Router only has 1 wired PC hooked up to it. The rest of my devices in my household (Other pc's, phones, Wii, Xbox etc) work fine. Just not this one PC. It was originally working perfectly, then just dropped out of nowhere. I know the router & modem are set up correctly. I just don't understand why the connection dropped in the first place, and why I can't connect anymore. Under "Connect to a network" it doesn't even find any. And the only connection available is the "Unidentified Network".

Yes yes - - you said that. Now to find out WHY we need to deal with more than just symptoms and "jee wee . . it used to work".

You say
ISP > Modem > Router(Wireless).
but also that the gaming console is attached, so I must conclude it is more like
Code:
ISP >Modem>Router(Wireless)	 (WiFi)->gaming console-(wired)->PC
and then you have other PCs attached
Code:
ISP >Modem>Router(Wireless)	 (WiFi)->gaming console-(wired)->PC
			  |
			  +---- one or more PCs
Now seeing that Frostymcburg-PC is not connected to the router by any means (wired or wifi) but relies upon the gaming console for WiFi access back to router - - your issue lies between the gaming console and the router. What makes you certain the console is accessing the router?

I still suggest that you POWER OFF EVERYTHING (and that includes the Console) and restart them one at a time. Yea, you said everything else works - - but why not try it, it will not destroy anything and sometimes we just have to reboot network devices.

If this were mine, I would attempt to connect router-->wifi-->PC or at least router-(wired)->PC
to ensure your system is ready for a connection.

Okay so after doing all of that. And doing ipconfig /all again. The only thing that has changed was IPv4 which is now 169.254.46.193(preferred). Nothing else changed. I noticed the other ips on my network are different

Okay so after doing all of that. And doing ipconfig /all again. The only thing that has changed was IPv4 which is now 169.254.46.193(preferred). Nothing else changed. I noticed the other ips on my network are different
That is the same issue;
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.158.32(Preferred) << this is the bug
ANY 169.254.x.x says most clearly, that the DHCP service on the router can not be found. It's not really the router,
but your connection to the console causes it to act AS A ROUTER - - it must provide DHCP service or pass the WiFi values to the PC.

Can you access the configuration of the console and see if DHCP is enable and/or if in fact the console has an IP configuration of it's own? I kind of doubt it.

IMO, you would be far better off with
Code:
ISP >Modem>Router(Wireless)--wired/wireless->PC
			|
			+--(WiFi)->gaming console
			|
			+---- one or more PCs

Back