TechSpot

iOS 7: "dramatic" e-mail and calendar revamp causes delay

By Rick
May 1, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Rumors earlier this month suggested Apple's iOS 7 may be running behind schedule. Sources in contact with Bloomberg indicate this delay stems from a impending overhaul of iOS' user interface and "dramatic" changes to Apple's e-mail and calendar apps. These...

Read more

2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,082   +920

I dont use either, there are tons of better replacements for Mail and Calendar that Apple cant replicate.

3. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

No, it means Android's Holo flat. A good example of this would be the Google Maps app on iOS. On Android it would be Google Now or Google Keep.

They are referring to the use of flat, solid-looking, chrome-less menus that often hover over the content or integrate with it without metaphors of leather or wood.

4. JC713

Kind of, they want the operating system to be clean, and not have a bunch of different textures.

5. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,479   +624

I hope they get rid of the stupidly long animations too.

6. JC713

What animations do you speak of earthling?

7. St1ckM4n

Well, I don't see any skeuomorphism with the calendar and email app, they just generally suck.

The animations I speak of - delete, back, send. This is all just on the email app.

8. JC713

I dont really know what animations you are talking about. The only animation I notice on my phone is the trash bin in photos. Nothing else. The skeuomorphism they speak of is this for example:
    [​IMG]

9. St1ckM4n

Haha yeah, I know about the notepad, game centre, etc. :p

Seriously, delete an email: The whole screen gets 'sucked' into the trash icon. There's small delays both before and after that animation. Overall, it takes longer than a second, which is unacceptable.

On email, click the 'back' icon in top-left. This takes you back to the mailbox, then to other accounts, etc. The screen 'slide' animation takes too long.

Clicking the home button , the 'zoom out' animation takes too long.

All of these animation timings are remnants of first-gen iPhone with extremely limited hardware. To be honest, I think they're used extensively throughout iPhone 4's too. Basically, these long animations hide the 'loading time' of the app change or app action. Instead of the screen doing nothing with just a loading icon, the user is presented with a pretty animation and a sense of "hey, it's actually doing something and isn't frozen".

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.