iPad 2 fakes made of clay turning up in Canadian stores

By Rick
Jan 20, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. A bizarre rash of clay iPads are being discovered at Canadian retail stores, CTV News reports. Roughly two dozen fakes have been unwittingly sold to customers by major retailers in…

Read the whole story
  2. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 744   +12

I always thought they'd make nice paper weights, but this is ridiculous.
  3. Mudvayne819

Mudvayne819 TS Rookie Posts: 42

i work in a AASP, im a apple tech and we just dont refunds, problem solves. we just do exchange, and when we do, we dont exchange box for box, only the ipad. poor other AASPs lol
  4. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,158   +197

Look on the bright side, With that amount of clay you could probably knock up a pretty good sculpture of steve jobs.
  5. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TS Guru Posts: 443   +17

6. not to point fingers but im sure some smart *** asian guy is behind this scam. but it shouldn't be that hard to find the culprit eh?
  7. jmjsquared

jmjsquared TS Booster Posts: 144

Dishonesty, like stupidity, is not limited to any particular Group, as you have demonstrated here.
  8. Well said jmjsquared!!
  9. This guy had to know the details of how each store, and how that particular cashier takes refunds and exchanges. He did his homework, and it clearly worked out for him. He couldn't have just gotten lucky, because if even one retailer had caught him, they would have prosecuted him immediately.
  10. jmjsquared

jmjsquared TS Booster Posts: 144

This article's title is misleading. Something like, "iPad 2 faked by clay....", or "iPad 2 replaced by clay..." would be more accurate though less sensational.

However titled, this may be good news: If one of these units breaks, you can send it to any local kindergarten for immediate repair... as long as it is not during nap time.
  11. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,267   +101

I agree, slightly misleading...
  12. I remember a few months back the local vancouver craigslist had an ad asking for ipad 2 boxes. Wonder ifnthat has to do with this scam ?
  13. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TS Enthusiast Posts: 385   +10

,,,though it might come back undersized if Johnny eats the clay again.
  14. Locate them by GPS? I don't think so!
  15. even in crime we canadians are REDNECKS
  16. You're ridiculous.
  17. clearly not in this country, yikes.
  18. bexwhitt

bexwhitt TS Addict Posts: 289   +55

19. Too bad the retailers didn't keep their sticks on the ice.
  20. at least the clay will be worth something in two years XD