iPhone and iPod touch DST bug strikes again

Emil

Staff

A new Daylight Saving Time (DST) bug has hit iPhone and iPod touch users. There's an Apple Discussions thread about the issue, which has already garnered 69 replies at the time of writing. User ekcwmi started it yesterday with the following post:

I have a Verizon Wireless iPhone 4 and the time didn't change for daylight savings time today. It is set to do it automatically and I also tried to sync it to see if it would change but it didn't. Any advice?

I personally witnessed this problem with my friend's iPhone. He was complaining yesterday that when he woke up, his device showed that it was 10:00 AM. When he looked again, however, it was back to 9:00 AM. I saw him all afternoon and evening, and I distinctly remember that he was still annoyed about it at 4:00 PM.

Four months ago, many iPhone users did not wake up on time due to a different DST bug. In that case, even though the iOS clock changed correctly, the alarm did not. That issue followed a similar problem experienced by Australians.

Apple really needs to get on this problem as it is giving iOS a poor reputation. It's clear that not everyone is affected, but enough users are that it's big news every time it happens.

Permalink to story.

Unfortunately none of these numerous bugs will ever convince Apple fanboys that their devices are anything but perfect...

I wonder if any 3GS users were affected. I was fine... my windows PC actually was going bonkers Sunday morning. for my time at home I have a redundancy of 4 to work with... a battery operated analogue clock from Ikea (that I set forward before going to bed...), my iPhone, PC, and PS3 (that I expect will do it theirselves). My PC failed and would not even synch with the internet timer... I think something is up with my BIOS more than it being Windows... Anyhow, Apple should have fixed this issue by now. I would expect that the alarm clock thing of yester-year was a bit of an embarrassment for ALL involved. Lesson... don't depend on clocks to self set when you have an appointment.

I think that apple should learn that internet enabled devices can connect to a server. Computers can keep time so........... Sync the time with the time of the server once every few weeks. Or when apple knows or rather doesn't know about daylight savings time, sync around midnight and then around 2:00 AM and its all fixed. That would take effort though wouldn't it. It also might cost apple $5000 for a server or two, but when apple sells mac book pros for easily over $2000 it really shouldn't be any kind of issue there.

Apples aren't for pie, they're for laughs. The most entertaining computer manufacturer in my opinion. :)

This is similar to the Toyota bashing that's been going on in the sense that recalls on automobiles by the BigThree are so common that they aren't even newsworthy.

Whoaman said:
This is similar to the Toyota bashing that's been going on in the sense that recalls on automobiles by the BigThree are so common that they aren't even newsworthy.

The newsworthy aspect is that the bug is still not fixed. How many iterations of the "greatest device ever made" will it take for them to fix it?

Or will it be an option to get people to buy the white iPhone..."now with accurate DST feature.."

And nevertheless people will keep paying for Apple's crap. And pay at least twice the price. Sad.
You are mixing arguments, iPhones aren't twice the price of other smartphones. Apple's computers might, on some level, be able to be argued they are twice the price, but the computers aren't the ones with the time issue.

This is what gets people like Whoaman fired up, and then people get in arguments, and then that upsets Princeton because he has to report threads to moderators before the personal attacks stop.

Weird. My wife has iPhone 4, my son inherited her iPhone 3GS and I have the first generation iPod touch - no problems with DST.

My iPhone woke me up at 5:00 am (I set alert at 6:00am) for two day. I am going to set my alert at 7:00 am to make sure it will wake me up at 6:00. I am smart than iPhone. But iPhone doesn't

as IT Day light savings was horrible it was basically a Y2K event, mac Pros were dying, passwords were changed (i don't know why that was affected by DLS). Windows machines closed programs and restarted themselves.

Blackberries weren't getting emails, iPhones had it worse: People were getting messages bunched together 50 at a time, The alarms never went off so people over slept, some phones constantly crashed, Some phones moved forward at 9am (10am monday morning).

as IT Day light savings was horrible it was basically a Y2K event, mac Pros were dying, passwords were changed (i don't know why that was affected by DLS). Windows machines closed programs and restarted themselves.

Blackberries weren't getting emails, iPhones had it worse: People were getting messages bunched together 50 at a time, The alarms never went off so people over slept, some phones constantly crashed, Some phones moved forward at 9am (10am monday morning).

/giggle

The world is coming to an end!

Back