iPhone OS 4.0 partially detailed, only a week away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

It seems that Apple will indeed unveil iPhone OS 4.0 at its January 27 event in San Francisco, and the folks at Boy Genius Report have dug up some dirt on the update.

According to the site's "trusty" tipster, version 4.0 will bring a slew of changes -- some of which offer further evidence of a pending tablet device. Among the new features is support for multitouch gestures OS-wide, several new ways to run applications in the background, as well as many graphical, UI and navigation changes.

The source claims that the iPhone OS 4.0 will only be available for the 3G and 3GS, and it will put them "ahead in the smartphone market because it will make them more like full-fledged computers" -- more than any other phone available. Also, there is talk of a new syncing ability for the Contacts and Calendar applications, but no other details were given.

Permalink to story.

What's new:
- There will be multi-touch gestures OS-wide.
- “A few new ways” to run applications in the background.
- Many graphical and UI changes to make navigating through the OS easier...
- The update will supposedly be available for only the iPhone 3G and 3GS...
- ...some brand new syncing ability for the contacts and calendar applications.

I might be a bit of a humbug since they're not announcing any support for Touch 1G (which I own) but the changes seem to only catch up to what the Palm Pre has had for a while now and where the Android is already heading. I didn't read anything to make me think that Apple will hold on to it's edge. Is this the year that the playing field is even?

Umm ok?

They might be heading there - but everytime Apple ventures into new territory in terms of features for their devices...they do it well if not better than their competitors.

You stick with your Palm Pre or Android.

palm pre in its first gen is doing pretty well i hafta say having owned both palm pre is my favorite although iphone is in its own right an amazing phone and i admit def the leader right now in smart phones but wuteves palm pre is good competition meaning iphone users aswell as palm user will both win

""ahead in the smartphone market because it will make them more like full-fledged computers" -- more than any other phone available"

Two words.....

Nokia N900

I really hope they
1) allow more processes to run in the background (i think this is the most glaring limitation currently)
2) provide support for the N wireless, and FM receive/transmit hardware that they have not enabled
3) add spell checker?

hmmm. These are all things you can already do if you jailbreak your phone.

oh great… another update. just what I need… a whole slew of new features that probably either aren't noticeable or don't work properly, …most of which are probably just dumbed down things for *****s so us power users have to wade through a bunch of extra menus first… then 2 weeks after it's been introduced you find out it's full of bugs just like Snow Leopard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back