IRQ issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

crobarred

I have a problem with a current system of mine. Recently my older machine (1.2Ghz AMD pro/ASUS A7V133 mobo) died and now I have two HD's that have data on them that I need. I do have a different mobo/processor combo that I can put into that case for the purpose of grabbing the data I need. However each time I boot I get an IRQ error and it blue screens. I know that the IRQ error is from the different mobo/processor. Is there a disk utility that I can download or use for the purpose of deleting the old mobo drivers? thanks...

crobarred

You don't have to boot from the other HD to get most data off it, just put both HDs in your computer, booting from the one that works. If you really have some encrypted folders or something similar that requires you to boot from the old HD, just boot from the Windws CD and let it "repair" the installation, replacing all drivers.

that's not the issue. The issue I have is that I have a dead processor. The only replacement I have is an entire mobo/processor combo and it won't boot because of the IRQ issue. Each time I try to boot it looks for the old mobo controllers and drivers which causes the error. I was wondering if there was a work around other than the OS cd or some sort of disk utility that will allow me to boot so I can delete those driver folders.

crobarred

Originally posted by crobarred
that's not the issue. The issue I have is that I have a dead processor. The only replacement I have is an entire mobo/processor combo and it won't boot because of the IRQ issue. Each time I try to boot it looks for the old mobo controllers and drivers which causes the error. I was wondering if there was a work around other than the OS cd or some sort of disk utility that will allow me to boot so I can delete those driver folders.

crobarred
I don't think you understood the above post. It WILL fix your problem. Anytime you transfer an XP to a new system, it usually blue screens with an IRQ or other such error on bootup.

"Repairing" Windows XP with the CD fixes this, as it reinstalls all the drivers appropriate for the new board and leaves your settings & data intact.

There are several threads on this, with links or instructions on how to perform a repair.

I actually did understand what was posted. I guess I should have said that I forgot my XP install cd at my old apartment. I'm not going back there for a few months so I wanted to find a work around till then. Had I remembered it, I would have used it and not had the problem I have now. Any alternative suggestions till I go back?

Crobarred

Then that is a problem. :)

I have found that renaming drivers.cab in C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386 fixes some driver-related issues. You might want to give it a try... But you'll need to get to the recovery console which requires Windows 2000 SP1 or better.

You can download the bootable floppy disk set from Microsoft if you don't have access to the CD.

I went through EVERY cd I have brought with me to Chicago and I actually found my XP install disk. Here's my next issue. I tried going through the repair and what I received was either the system rebooting or that I would get a blue screen with the following error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. I have used everything from different hard drives to just using one hard drive, the mobo,processor,memory,and video card. The last time I had that issue I found that I had an overheating issue but that isn't the case with this machine. Could it be the memory? It's a new stick of DDR2100 256meg. I do have the new motherboard installed but it's not even booting to the hard drive. I have the boot sequence going from the floppy to the cd rom then the hard drive. any suggestions? -crobarred

If all you need to do, is delete some sub-directories on your HD, then get hold of a start-up floppy from Windows 98(SE), start from that floppy and delete what you need from the HD(s).

Alternatively, get hold of another HD, and install your OS on that.
Then put in your old HD's one at the time, making sure that they are set as SLAVE. Retrieve the data from those old HDs.
If you get a conflict with two primary partitions (i.e. your "old" HD has also a primary partition), use Partition Magic to convert that old Primary partition into a logical partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back