TechSpot

Is desktop.ini file a virus?

By dr.emraan
May 4, 2008
  1. hello all
    i m very disturbed about an issue which i m facing from a month and no solution i found for it.i actually got HP Pavillion dv 9000 note book with OS vista n 1.5 GHZ,core II duo system........my system started to perform slowly n i happened to find ,Desktop.ini file.....$rcycle.bin file......n many other unkown files in each drive n folder.....i deleted them and they reappear again......they donot caught by antivirus like Norton internet security....AVG 7.5......or Avast etc......i m stuck up now n performing system recovery....but as i m afraid that all my data which i ve copied on my external hard drive is also carriying same Desktop.ini files so they will again reappear when i will re-copy them......some body told me its famous "redolf virus" n he sent me zip file of its removal but that also could nt find it n after reapeated scan i just dropped the idea that these can be removed by any way..........request u all to help me ....will be great ful

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Nope. Desktop.ini is a Windows XP system file. It stores information about customized folders.

Anyone who has customized a display of any folder, perhaps by changing the icon or the way something is displayed, may have enabled Windows to save those settings in a "desktop.ini" file.

However, viruses have been known to hide there, even change their name to Desktop.Ini.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.