is it possible to split an ethernet cable with a small adapter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a ethernet cable running about 20 meters from our router. i want to know if it's possible to split this ethernet cable so the person in the room above me (we live out the back of a bvig house) can connect to without having to run another 25 meter ethernet cable back to the router inside. i imagined there would be some type of double adapter like i have on the phone line for the adsl. i imagine putting a splitter on my ethernet line would disrupt the signal but just want to make sure.
The guy at tandy reckons we have to buy some router type thing for around 200 bucks.
what do you think?

Actually such a split line may be faster than a hub or a switch since both computers have a dedicated line running to the router.. That is if the signal quality doesn't get too bad and they are actually communicating with other machines connected to the router.

You most certainly do not need such an expensive router - I suggest you do not ask any more advice from that shop. A CAT5 splitter or a second-hand hub will cost you next to nothing.

get a 5$ splitter from a nearby college campus electronics store. They have them for dorm rooms usually.

I did have a problem with one of these however. the cable is split into A and B exit ports. for some reason my computer would only connect to port A (even though my roommates worked fine with both ports). So if you have this problem, just try switching them =D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back