Is it safe to overclock CPU

Hi friends,

I want to overclock my AMD Athlon II X2 245 Processor Bus frequency in BIOS doing so will cause any side effects to my system? can I do so?

My Configuration:

Motherboard: ASUS M4N68T-M V2
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 245
RAM: 2GB DDR3
HDD: 80 GB

It's almost always safe to attempt an overclock on a CPU, however it is unsafe to be careless with your overclock.

You're likely to be limited by your CPU cooler if you are using the stock heat sink, and it is not good for your CPU to overheat. However you can probably still get a decent overclock that should make a noticeable difference

Increase the clock speeds nice and slow, checking the temperatures each time whilst running a stress test (such as Prime95). I'd recommend keeping the temperatures below 80 degrees (Celsius) at 100% load, maybe a bit lower if you live in a hot place (the temperature may increase during the hottest part of the day). When you've reached a nice temperature, run Prime for at least 12-24 hours to ensure that the clock is stable.

I just noticed: Bus frequency? Why not adjust the multiplier? I'd do that first.

Opinions vary and your intent is a prime criterion.

Having built shortwave radios in my younger years, I opted for reliability - - I didn't want to tolerate failures and down time. Using reliability as a goal, I would install components with specifications of 150% of the expected condition. For example, line voltage at 110vac x 1.414 = 155.5 peak and the closest nominal value is 200vac, so the power supply was built with 200vac capacitors.
[edit] oops; 155v * 150% is 233 and the nominal values available off the shelf is 250vac [/edit]

IMO, overclocking is a poor mans choice to avoid buying a better processor. If that is the criterion (ie avoid a purchase), then go for it. However, if system reliability is any criterion of concern, then think twice before you pressure the silicon with over voltage.

Personally, I much prefer to keep my systems running rather than parts all askew on the work bench - - but then I'm not a gamer either :wink:

While true, I am leaning to say that it's not actually safe. OP doesn't know what he's doing, he's running ancient hardware, and it's proprietary OEM stuff. It's not really safe IMO. :(

While true, I am leaning to say that it's not actually safe. OP doesn't know what he's doing, he's running ancient hardware, and it's proprietary OEM stuff. It's not really safe IMO. :(
Right! I forgot it was an OEM PC. True that.

Back