Is it the monitor or the video card dying

mlmassie

two days ago my win7 task bar turned light blue from light gray, the background looked darker even though its black. the icons look faded [no bright colors I.e. red], web pages are dark in color no brightness in color , blues and yellows still show, like in most places it was very hot over the weekend, I did not make any changes to resolution, color initially. my monitor is 6 yrs. old and my video card is a radeon visiontek 4850 which I bought brand new when they came out. any help would be appreciated. thanks. mlmassie

Would anyone have messed with your monitor? Did someone else use your computer before this problem started? It may be your monitor but it sounds to me that the colors are set wrong. Can you go into your monitor's settings and see what all the red blue and green is set at? There should be a menu button on your monitor, it should be easy enough to find by just looking around in it. There aren't that many options.

If indeed this is a monitor only issue, and you are successful in getting into your monitors high settings, via the options menu, you should proceed to look for an option named "recall", or like with several monitors I've ran, look for the "reset" option. If you can locate the reset option, go ahead and accept it and your monitor will flash a couple times and reset itself and be as it was when first coming out of it's box, when it was brand new. If you or anyone else messed around with any of the monitor higher functions, the reset option will do away with all those settings and it will be like starting over again from scratch.

Back